1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glen Mason to the white courtesy phone, please

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 31, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Isn't ex-Gopher QB Mike (?) Hohensee a successful coach in the Arena League?

They should have hired Tony Dungee a long, long time ago.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You Gopher alums are sooooo unrealistic.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I can't help it.

What's Hayden Fox up to?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just to get it on this thread, too -- I assumed Minnesota would be more fiscally responsible than to eat another big coaching contract.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I assumed Minnesota would be more fiscally responsible than to ever give Glen Mason a big coaching contract.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not to bring this guy up again, but Mason pulled a move this year similar to what Wlat did in his final years at Pitt. They asked Mason about the "Fire Mason" chants in the Dome and he made some comment about "most of these people probably are too young to remember how bad this team was before I got here." Translation: be thankful for what I've done. Wlat did this after a pre-season top 15 team with Larry Fitzgerald in 2003 finished 8-5.

This said, I give our boy Wlat the benefit of the doubt. Harris was a $700,000 coach annually. Mason was a $1.6 million dollar coach annually. For that kinda jack you better put up better results than what you have been.

7. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Timing is everything. <a href=http://www.startribune.com/512/story/908025.html>Mason had another $1 million in compensation coming as of Jan. 1. </a>So the U would have had to pay $4.5 million to dump him in 2007 instead of $3.5 mil it's paying now.

<a href=http://www.startribune.com/508/story/908491.html>Pat Reusse</a> and <a href=http://www.startribune.com/150/story/908520.html>Jim Souhan</a> let loose on Mason and Maturi in the Strib this morning. Souhan had a particular good theme:

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is MINNESOTA.

9. accguy

accguy Member

It is Minnesota, but...

-- In 2004, Mason had Maroney, Barber and two O-Linemen who are in the NFL. Minnesota wen 3-5 in conference and finished 8th in the Big Ten.
    -- In 10 seasons, he never finished higher than tied for fourth in the Big Ten and had only two winning records in league play.
    -- Sure he went to a bunch of bowls, but they were what I call "NIT" bowls not "NCAA" bowls. In order: Sun, Micronpc.com, Music Shitty, Sun, Music Shitty, Music Shitty and Insight.

I'd say he had a pretty good run and should be happy that he got, what, 12-13 million in his career at Minnesota.

The school isn't Michigan or Ohio State, but if Purdue and Northwestern can make Rose Bowl appearances, is it really out of the question that Minnesota occassionally go to the Alamo Bowl or Outback?

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I am inferring to. Under Mason, Minnesota wasn't going anywhere but whatever Mason was thinking of in his delusional mind, wicked. accguy said what my post was implying. Mason was so fucking incompetent, he made Denny Green look like Stephen Hawking when Denny was coaching the Vikings. Secondly, the sumbitch is a salary-leverage whore. Any word of him sniffing out a high-profile job, and he thinks he's going to be getting extra lunch money on the next trip to the MOA.

How in the world can your team rack up 400+ plus on Michigan and Wisconsin, and blow leads in spectacular fashion? Only at Minnesota. How can you get a contract extension and have no hard evidence in proving that you merit an extension? Only at Minnesota.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You wanna rip Minnesota for doling out the extension to Mason last year? Fine.

Just realize what you've got and what you're likely to have in the future. You always will finish behind at least Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State in the conference standings. Quite often, you'll also finish behind Iowa and Penn State, too. You're starting off most years with no hope of finishing higher than sixth. If Sparty ever pulls its head out of its ass and Purdue stays decent, you're talking eighth. It could be argued that Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois (just five years removed from a BCS game, by the way) are on the way up. Also realize that the Big Ten was pretty dang good in 2004.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Pre-Mason, Minnesota WAS practically a guaranteed win for Indiana, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted