1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glen Mason to the white courtesy phone, please

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 31, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Going up 38-7 in a bowl game and losing is a good way to get axed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2715640&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

2. Was just about to post this. Too bad for the rest of the Big Ten. Minnesota practically was a guaranteed win under Mason.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And to think this is the guy that led KU to a top-10 finish in 1995 and, for a moment, took the Georgia job.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And, shamelessly chased after the Ohio State job, all but pissing his pants in protest when they picked Tressel instead.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

YES! THANK YOU!!!

If all of that underachieving during the season couldn't get him fired, blowing a 31-point lead in a bowl game was the nail in the coffin for Glen.

Good riddance. ;)

6. donnie23

donnie23 Member

For familial obligation-type reasons, I traveled to and attended the Insight Bowl. Nothing like a $55 ticket to for end-zone seats in the 46th row, on one of the six or so bad-weather days Phoenix ever has.

There appeared to be absolutely no sense of urgency for the Gophers late in the game, no matter how close Texas Tech drew. The final "drive" -- a woefully executed three-and-out -- that allowed Texas Tech the chance to kick that tying FG was pathetic. (And the kick, good from 52, would have been good from about 65.)

Mason deserves to go, based on what I saw. Too much talent to go 6-7 and especially to blow this one.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Word I heard is Minnesota can't afford to fire him since they just gave him an extension. Plus, he was key in raising money for their new stadium. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

EDIT: Guess I should have clicked on that link first. Gophers go for the buyout and still have to hire a hoops coach, too.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wlat to Minnehaha!!!!

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, this is Minnesota. To get them to 6-6 is a minor miracle. It's not like Minnesota has the facilities, etc., to be Alvarezed, especially until the stadium's open.

10. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Shocked, if only because I thought wins were secondary to Minnesota. The school is paying a whole lot of money for coaches not to coach now.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, if JoePa builds a 38-7 lead tomorrow and...

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

JoePa ain't building a 38-7 lead tomorrow. He's not playing and if lucky he may coach for a bit from the field.

Again, consider that 1.) it's Minnesota and 2.) the players should be ashamed of themselves for laying down like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted