1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You still watch it?

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

First time since last Fall. Was flipping channels . . . saw the description that "on the eve of regionals, an unthinkable . . . " and guessed, "what, a school shooting?"

Yup.

Really hated how they resolved it. The 30 minutes I watched justified my continued non-watching of this show.

http://tvline.com/2013/04/11/glee-recap-season-4-school-shooting-becky-sue-sylvester-leaving/

To recap:

A gun went off. Accidentally. Becky caused it.

No one was hurt.

No one truly committed a crime.

But we got to watch Glee do a blatant Emmy grab cry for an hour.

Bogus. Like when 90210 said "Tonight, they lose one of their OWN!!!!!" and David Silver's friend Scott showed up in the ads for the first time ever.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

And Sue got fired (she took the rap for Becky).

I really hate what Brittany has become. They've taken her from being kind of a ditz with some great one-liners to a true idiot who thinks a comet is going to crash into the earth based on a ladybug in a Pringles can. I mean wtf.

The music wasn't awe-inspiring. Glee doesn't do these kinds of storylines well, especially in the aftermath (see: last year's Karofsky tried to hang himself/Quinn was texting and in a car wreck episode) and while the stuff directly after the "shooting" (like shooting video on the phone in the choir room) was believable and compelling, the entire topic just seems out of place.

Also, the Ryder catfishing thing is nuts. Someone kill that storyline.

Best part of the episode for me was the show coming full circle, with Coach Tanaka trying to date Coach Beiste online.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Are we not going to discuss that Brittany sang a song whose essential message is "if you love me, you'll have sex with me" to her cat?

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I watch the show while surfing the net because my wife and teenage daughter love Glee.

I thought the gun subplot was ham handed and manipulative, reminded me of the depseration of the shooting story line on Grey's Anatomy a few years ago, the Shondra Rimes comment upthread is completely accurate.

More Than Words Can Say is a craptastic song with a shitheel message, fuck me to show you love me.

Glee can fuck itself, at least have the courage of your shitty ass story line instead of pinning the gun on the handicapped girl.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Glee kind of always cops out, at least in previous years. Quinn isn't handicapped after her accident, her baby went to a good home, the closeted bully didn't actually kill himself, Finn and Rachel didn't actually get married, etc. At this point, I'm waiting for the episode where Artie's cured out of his wheelchair.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Again, it's holding the torch passed on by Heroes.

Nothing of note happens from week to week, yet they want us to think something might. And after a while, you give up on waiting for greatness to make another appearance.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First half was good, but yeah, the way they wrapped it up was really crappy. The show should have sacked up and had at least somebody get shot, maybe it isn't anyone they know or seen on the show, but to have it be Becky and two misfires? And then have Sue rant about gun hysteria..it was just weak.
    Do schools do shooting response practice like they do fire drills? I figure the duck and cover isn't really necessary anymore.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

About sums it up.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2013/04/five-reasons-why-shooting-star-was-the-worst-episode-of-glee-ever.php

10. sgreenwell

At least when I was a sub about two years ago, yeah - Instead of a fire drill, you might have a Code Blue drill, where you locked all the doors and lowered the shades. They had a couple different varieties that you were expected to memorize if you were a sub or teacher.

11. sgreenwell

So in case you're not following Glee anymore, like my friends when I made a reference to it on FB the other week, some points:

- Pretty much this whole season has just been excruciating. Making Brittany out to be a genius in the latest episode was sadly only like the 10th worst thing that had happened.

- This will shock you, but there is drama in the Will-Emma and Rachel-Finn pairings.

- They consciously bring up those pairings - like Brittana - on the show now. Oh and also, two weeks ago, there was a school shooting episode. But don't worry, because Becky was the one who did it.

- They also did a "catfish" storyline where the high school RuPaul character is the one who's tricking the loser of a love triangle between New Rachel and New Puck. After the first episode or two, when it became clear where they were going with this, it got really, really uncomfortable to watch.

- Above all else, the show has no real direction, despite being about New Directions. (HA, see what I did there?) There are no real consequences on the show, as they're already angling for Sue to get her job back for taking the rap for Becky shooting off her gun, which by the way didn't kill anyone. Quinn got into a severe car crash and is fine now. The closeted guy tried to kill himself but didn't succeed. Finn basically beat the shit out of Rachel's ex-boyfriend gigolo, and nothing happened. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I joked about this in the past, but I am waiting for the episode where Artie finds out he can walk again, since their latest "jk!" was about how Brittany doesn't have to worry about her failing grades, because she's secretly an idiot savant in math and going to MIT.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I think they're setting up Brittany to not come back next season, or only come back sporadically. Heather Morris is about 3 months pregnant, so I have no idea what they're going to do with Brittany. Jane Lynch is currently doing Annie on Broadway. I can't help but wonder how long that Lea Michele is going to want to stick around Glee instead of going back to Broadway since her family all lives in New York. Cory's in rehab. Chris is writing novels. Even though Glee has been renewed for the next two seasons, I would be *shocked* if the main characters stick around through the next two seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted