1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gleaner reporters pinned down by Kingston gunfire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, May 25, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Over the years, I've periodically read the Jamaica Gleaner online since my family visited the island more than 10 years ago. We stayed in Ocho Rios, on the north coast, away from the Kingston slums along the south coast.

I saw a story on the unrest in Kingston as police try to capture a reputed drug lord so he can be extradited to the United States.

One of the Gleaner's stories describes how reporters had to duck into a building to get out of the gunfire. Wow.

Kingston's always been bad, but not this bad.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20100525/lead/lead2.html

2. Kingston's a war zone. Army has been brought in. Reports of numerous civilians killed in crossfire.
    Drug lord has been described as a Robin Hood sort, beloved by the downtrodden, who are picking up their guns to defend him

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I wonder how tourism is going to be affected. There's very little tourism in Kingston because it's so bad, but one of only two international airports in the country is there. Most of the tourists fly into Montego Bay (we did). Still, it makes you wonder.

All these small towns we drove through were pretty scary - and so was Ocho Rios, where we were staying. The only time we left the hotel in our week there was a hotel-sponsored trip to Dunns River Falls. I felt safe at the hotel.

Draft saved Draft deleted