1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glazer: Favre giving coaching clinics to Packers' opponents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wait -- I thought Brett wanted to be treated like any other player. Isn't that why Mangini made him run a lap in camp...?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And this is a little different, Golic.

If the Jets were playing the Packers that week, of course Favre would supply his coaching staff with info ... no one is saying that is wrong. And it isn't.

Favre has NO association with the Lions.

3. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Clearly Favre is a douche, and Millen is a moron, but Rodgers could stand at the line of scrimmage and, instead of signals, yell exactly what play the Packers were running and who was getting the ball and it still wouldn't have helped the Lions.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That does happen all the time... But Favre doesn't play for the Lions and the only reason he would do this is if he's trying to fuck over the Packers.

5. Mizzougrad96

He has $25 million still on the table to be an ambassador for the team when he retires.

If nothing else, I hope this ensures that he never gets a cent of that.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well of course, especially with Millen's stable pony, Marinelli, running the show.

It doesn't matter if what Favre told them helped at all -- quite likely it did not -- but Goodell cannot tolerate players calling hypothetically disinterested third parties and feeding them inside information on their former teams.

Because if it's Matt Millen this week, it could be somebody in Las Vegas next week.

Goodell has to bring the shit-hammer down. This is at least as damaging as tattooed dreadlocked negroes acting like thugs; he has shown no hesitation about going after that bunch (to his credit).

Now that it's two big bad Heap Big White Heroes, Favre and Millen, pussyfooting around with the legitimacy of competition, Goodell has to bring the hammer down.

7. Mizzougrad96

Think Goodell would end Favre's consecutive start streak with a suspension?

I don't either.

8. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I'm asking because I don't know: Did Favre break the rules here?

Clearly he did something outside the bounds of good sportsmanship, and probably acted very selfishly. But is telling one team what plays your old team runs against the rules?

9. Starman

It's probably not against any specific rule, because this is one of those bizarro-world situations people sit around, maybe drunk late one Saturday night, and say, "hahahah wouldn't it be funny if somebody ever really did this," but nobody sober ever really took it seriously, so undoubtedly there's no actual rule saying "players are prohibited from supplying information on their former teams to the management or coaching staffs of any team other than their own current team."

Goodell does have the authority to fine players and much greater lattitude to fine executives for "conduct detrimental to the interests of the league" and "actions casting doubt upon the legitimacy of competition"; either description, I would think, would fit this situation pretty much to a T.

10. Mizzougrad96

Goodell won't do a thing.

He loves having Favre in NYC too much to do anything to disrupt that.

11. Starman

What's Favre gonna do? Quit? Threaten to retire??

::) ::) :D :D

12. Mizzougrad96

Why should this year be any different than the last six?

Draft saved Draft deleted