1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glazer: Favre giving coaching clinics to Packers' opponents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be very interesting to see if Gunslinger Goodell, who has been for the most part admirably quick to bring the hammer down on thug players such as Pacman Jones and Michael Vick, at the very least, levies a nifty little fine (ohhh, something like low six figures -- pretty much meaningless to big-money players, but significant enough to deliver the message, 'don't do this shit no more') on the grounds of "conduct detrimental to the game and casting doubts on the legitimacy of competition" on the sacred Saint Brett.

And, to the coaching staffs involved, as well as Millen, who is still drawing paychecks of some sort from the Lions.

Former players delivering inside info, however much it might be worth (to the Lions' shit defense and their incompetent coaches, of course, obviously nothing), to third-party opposing teams, raises the specter of them delivering inside info to OTHER third parties -- ohhhhh, let's say, people with money bet on the games -- on what to expect out of certain games.

The NFL fines players for everything down to having the wrong color tape on their socks. Players and coaches can be, and are, fined for saying anything even remotely critical of game officials. THIS leads directly to the credibility of the game. Goodell needs to bring the shit-hammer down on all involved.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No named sources in the story, and Favre denies having done it. Thoughts?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

jg,

I would tend to believe Glazer. His body of work is incredibly impressive.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jim Rome had Glazer on his radio show today. Glazer said Peter King texted him, saying Glazer should have called Favre to get his side of it. Glazer's logic was, having seen what happened with the debacle over the summer, that Favre would have told ESPN if he had called him and ruined his scoop.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I assume Thompson to be his main source here, since he was obviously Glazer's source on the Jets trade. So there may or may not be hard feelings at work. And I'm unclear on what took place, especially in light of the fact that lower in the story Glazer qualifies the nature of what he's asserting a couple of different ways. Was it a comprehensive coaching session meant to reveal Packers' secrets? Or was it a casual conversation of the kind several of those sources seem to suggest?

Not saying it didn't happen, just that Glazer's own assertions of what took place are kind of imprecise. Favre's denial is about what you'd expect whether the story was true or not.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Bull. You have to make the call to Favre. Ruin his scoop? He's doing the readers a disservice.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Peter King on journalism ethics, isn't that sweet.

Glazer is 100 percent right. He calls Favre and Favre has Mort, Werder and King all on national TV saying there is no way the story is true.

Glazer is having an unbelievable year.

8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Glazer made a point to say that his source is not from GB.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I don't care what a print reporter says on the radio. I care what a print reporter puts in a story.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The Packers themselves could have told the Lions what plays were coming and still killed them.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be stunned if Millen isn't the source.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Peter King sends a text saying he should have talked to Favre?

Peter needs to stopping licking latte off Favre's nutsack.

Draft saved Draft deleted