1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine's deja vu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Now you know how I felt in 2002 and 2003 when Matt Franco had an ugly "A" on his cap.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

For some reason, Buck, there is a smalll contingent of very sick Mets fans who love Matt Franco. I believe it had to do with one hit off Mariano Rivera that beat the Yankees in the 9th inning in like 1999.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

... as is a co-worker of mine who calls it one of the greatest moments in Mets history! ::)

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wish it were true. I loved the guy coming off the bench in the eighth and ninth inning, but not to that extreme. I did hate seeing him in a Braves' uniform, but it was nothing like seeing Hundley in a Cubs' uniform or David Cone in a Yankees' uniform.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll never forget the absolute gem Dave Mlicki tossed at the Yankees in 1997 -- a 6-0 shutout. That was a great game in Mets history, in my opinion.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

As a reformed fanboi, let me tell you that moment was fucking outrageous.

I mean, c'mon SP, you of all people should understand why that moment has forever endeared Franco to Mets fans. Matt Franco? With a game-winning pinch-hit two-run single off Mariano Rivera? And frogs didn't fall from the sky immediately afterward?

It'd be like me getting a date with Jessica Alba and rounding the bases. No, it does not mean I can have sex with Jessica Alba all the time, or even some of the time, or even more than once. But for one day, I did have sex with her. And you look at me and go "You know what he's a looser, but there was that time he hooked up with Jessica Alba, and for that I must admire him."

It's like that with Mets fans and Matt Franco. Or so I've heard.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a damn good analogy and explanation.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go rub up against your standings board. :D :D :D

And I own a Doug Mientkiewicz jersey. I know from whence I speak.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ordonez was good in his day, and I'm sure the double play was fantastic, too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. That's the gold standard right there

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's the gold standard of fanboi dorkdom.

But I LOVED Dougie Consonants.

Draft saved Draft deleted