1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine's deja vu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When he first signed with the Mets, I was torn. There's something to be said about a player who spends all his time with one team. That's why I got disgusted at the Smoltz-to-Detroit talk last year or the year before. Sure I want that fuck out of the division and the league, if possible. But I think I'd rather see him finish out with the Braves. You know, pitching poorly, of course.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm waiting for Maddux to sign on the dotted line so we can have a glimpse of the past on a regular basis.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

What's Steve Avery up to these days? :p

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know. But I've got Kent Mercker on speed dial, and I'm about to wake his ass up.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He went 61-56 in five seasons with the Mets. Should have had about 75 wins with the Mets -- he left with the lead 13 times from 2002-05 before that nasty Benitez/Looper bullpen blew the game.
    He made 164 starts, no fewer than 32 per year, far more than anyone else on the team.

I think Mets fans have to be fairly pleased with his tenure, all things considered.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wasn't being critical of Glavine's run in Flushing. I think he did a nice job in his four years with the Mets.

All things considered, he and John Schurlholtz should have figured out a way to come to a contract agreement in late 2002. Glavine is a guy that you associate with the Braves, no matter how long he was with the Mets. It's much the same as Joe Montana when he was with the Chiefs. It just didn't look right.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no problem with most of Glavine's tenure in New York, Buck.
    His performance is his final three starts this past September was pathetic.
    His 7-run first in the final game of the season followed by a shrug of the shoulders was amateurish.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They need Alejandro Pena, Paul Assenmacher and Mark Wohlers to finish for him.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

re: his response

The only time I have ever seen him react differently after a start was a) when he won his 300th; and b) when he won the clinching game of the World Series. He reacts stoically after almost every win, and definitely after every loss. He's been that way for 20 years.

So whether he threw 7 shutout innings in the final game or whether he got yanked after 1/3 of an inning ... he was going to react the same way. I don't think that's amateurish at all.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

When your team has one desoparate shot to tie for the division on the last day of the season and you -- the would-be leader of the staff -- give up 7 runs in 1/3 of an nning, the response should be more than "I'm disappointed, we're all disappointed,"
    At least have the balls so say "I sucked when the team needed me, I let this team down and I'm to blame for the loss."

And 2 days later, on his final paid weekly spot with Russo and Francesa when they got on him about it, his reply was "Well, I pitched a lot of good games that I didn't get a win, so it all balances out."

Good-bye, Tommy.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fair enough. I will end with this:

I'm very happy he's back on my team and not on your team. I really fucking hated rooting for your team every fifth day. ;D

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Apparently, the refusal to perform hari-kiri on the mound was frowned upon.

Draft saved Draft deleted