1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine staying with Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey dickhead. Where did I ever say the Braves made an offer to Glavine?

I merely said it was obvious he wanted to go home and that I thought he'd get an offer, any offer, to go home. I never said he GOT one.

See if you can borrow some reading glasses from that cute nurse at the nursing home, dickhead.

2. That is completely wrong - Glavine said that he wanted to pitch for either the Mets or the Braves. The Braves either did not want to or could not afford to give him an offer. So Glavine basically took the $14 million from the Mets ($11 mil for 2007 plus the $3 mil buyout). Nowhere else to go? Do you think for a moment that if Glavine said that he was open to playing anywhere that he'd be lacking for offers? The guy is almost guaranteed to pitch 200 innings and next year he is also a special gate attraction as he approaches 300 wins. To say he came crawling back to the Mets is an ignorant thing to say. The Mets are damn lucky to have him back and they know it.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chris, I'm happy as a Mets fan that he's coming back. But he got $7.5 mill for 2007 plus a $3 mill buyout or a vesting option for 2008 that starts at $9 mill for 160 IP in 2007 and could go as high as $13 mill if he pitches over 200 inning in '07.
    He is guaranteed $10.5 mill ($7.5M salary + $3M buyout) if he doesn't come back for 2008. The most he can make out of this deal is $20.5 M for 2 years if he pitches 200 innings in '07 and wants to come back for '08.
    A month ago, the Mets were talking 2 years guaranteed for $24-25 mill.

And, dickhead, saying "I thought Glavine going home was the lock of the winter," proves you're not ony a dickhead, you're stupid. as well.

4. I didn't know that the $3 million buyout was considered part of the $10.5.

I sit corrected

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

All the talk of the Braves not wanting Glavine is unfair. I'm sure they would have loved to have him, just not for the possible $20M for two years he got from the Mets. If Galvine really wanted to finish up in Atlanta he could have, he just wouldn't have gotten nearly as much money. Glavine is in NY because of greed. Period.

Not that he's wrong for doing that, but the idea that he was mistreated by the Braves is not true.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dickhead, if you can't see Glavine wanted to go home and would have done so at any offer, then you're an even dumber and blinder Mets fan than I hadn't given you credit for.

Yeah, he's a union guy and he "took one" for the union in 2002. But at 40, and 10 wins shy of 300, he could have gone home with little BS from the union.

That said, while I'd like to see him finish his career and get his 300th win with the Braves, he's got no one to blame but himself. This is the flip side of taking one for the team: Scheurholz wants nothing to do with you.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This all raises the question: Should Tommygun go into the Hall (and most likely he will), is it a lock he wears an "A" on his hat?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. It's a lock he's going to the Hall. And it's a lock he's wearing an "A".

Same reason Clemens wears a "B" on his cap: That's where his legacy was made.

And FWIW, after the Boggs and Fisk fiascos, the player does not get to choose which hat is on his plaque. It's up to the Hall now.

9. In fairness - I think it was Dave Winfield who started the problem with which hat to wear.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, Chris, we're both right. I forgot about Winfield, though.

Fisk was inducted in 2000 -- choosing a Red Sox cap -- which didn't cause too much dissension, although it was debated beforehand which one he should (and would) choose.

Winfield was inducted in 2001 -- choosing a Padres cap -- which, according to his Wiki page, irked Steinbrenner so much that he tried to get the HOF to disallow the choice and make him go in as a Yankee. The Hall didn't budge.

Boggs was inducted in 2005 -- choosing a Devil Rays cap -- and he reportedly struck a deal with the D-Rays for $1 million to be inducted with their uni. The HOF overruled his decision, made him go in as a Red Sock, and implemented the new rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted