1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine milestone thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 1, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We've got one for Bonds. We have one for ARod. So here's one for Glavine. While I'm still inclined to spit vitriol in his general direction, I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge his career. What I'm wondering is if he'll walk away after this season. Here's why: What else is there left for him to accomplish (hi, prhack!); Two Cys, 300 wins, WS ring, WS MVP. Plus, if he retires after this season there is a good chance he'll be one of only seven pitchers with 300 wins and <200 losses. 300 w's is clearly enough for the HOF; less than 200 L's elevates him even among that group. Not bad for a sorry no-good carpet-baggin' two-timin' traitor ;D

The six current members of the list:
    Christy Mathewson (373-188)
    Clemens (351-183)
    John Clarkson (328-178)
    Eddie Plank (326-194)
    Charley Radbourn (309-195)
    Lefty Grove (300-141)

Clemens' 168 w/l differential is third behind Cy Young (195) and Mathewson (185), btw.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm sure that ESPN is delighted that Glavine's next shot at No. 300 comes against the Cubs on its Sunday night game. The Cubs mantra, no doubt, will be get to the bully!

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Lot of rich wives and kids have been sitting on their hands during the milestone stallouts of Bonds, ARod and Glavine.

Funny.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That Novelist started this thread is perhaps the greatest SJ upset since Simon conceded Beckett's ASG win in his bet with BYH. :D

5. pretty sure he's walking away after this year--i've seen most of his starts on TV this season--he definitely doesn't have it anymore (not counting last night) and i can't imagine he will see any benefit in coming back for another year

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He put his house in Greenwich on the market already -- it is fair to say that he won't be pitching in Flushing next year.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It was done begrudgingly. Swallowed 10 ibuprofen before I hit the new topic button ...

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Maybe he'll finally sign with the Kings after the baseball season ends and play some hockey!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Christine Glavine is SMOKING hot...like an older, tread-still-on-the-tires, haven't-yet-done-copious-amounts-of-drugs version of Britney Spears. Especially when she was pouting last night. Oh Lordie.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that at all after seeing her last night.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And was she ever smoking after Mota came in and fucked it up.

Couldn't decide whether she wanted to kill the piece of shit druggie reliever or the incompetent jackass manager who put him in the game.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Didn't his wife pose in an SI swimsuit edition once?

Draft saved Draft deleted