1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glavine, Maddux & Smoltz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Eddie Plank, Rube Waddell and Chief Bender, too.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Plank, Waddell, Bender (PHA, 1903-07).
    Feller, Wynn, Lemon (CLE, 1949-55).

That's it, as far as legitimately on the same staff like Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz were from 1993-99.

Technically, these guys were in the same rotation for a year or two:

Mathewson, McGinnity, Marquard (NYG, 1908).
    Alexander, Rixey, Bender (PHN, 1916-17).
    Marichal, Perry, Spahn (SFG, 1965).
    Koufax, Drysdale, Sutton (LAD, 1966).

3. Steak Snabler

1891 New York Giants (or whatever they were called then) had Amos Rusie, Mickey Welch and Tim Keefe, though Welch was pretty much done at that point and Keefe was only there part of the season.

4. Steak Snabler

49 Indians also had Satchel Paige, though he only started five games ... and obviously wasn't elected to the Hall for anything he did with the Indians.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you had to rank the staffs in order of dominance during their era, where would you rank them? Plus, which era made it more difficult for the pitchers?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I would consider that one a lot more legitimate than the McGinnity/Marquard, Welch/Keefe or Alexander/Bender coincidences. Paige at least pitched 31 games.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

That kind of knowledge is frighteningly impressive.

8. Steak Snabler

I can't speak for Buck, but baseballreference.com is a phenomenal resource. Still, you have to know where to look, and Buck is better at that than most ...

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1930s was the most difficult era for pitchers, although the current one is close. (19th century doesn't count.)

Gotta say the 1990s Braves were the most dominant, all things considered.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Didn't know the years off the top of my head, and the obscure ones (Giants, Phillies) I had to look up, too. Baseball-Reference.com gets a lot of the credit. ;)

11. Steak Snabler

What, you mean batters being able to request a specific kind of pitch and pitchers throwing under-handed doesn't hold up against the likes of a Randy Johnson slider?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not Glavine. Sorry. Will concede Maddux. And even with the bullpen time, it's a wash.
    Of course, while they were dominant during the season, they don;'t exactly have a handful of series rings (yes, I know that hitting failed in many of those futile post-season events). How many big-Series games did Morris win...

Draft saved Draft deleted