1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Oct 16, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was at the eye doctor this morning and i'm getting new frames this week. but i have a good insurance plan through my wife's employer so i'm getting some good ones.

the eye doc told me that contacts are cheap after the initial fitting.

2. carrie

carrie Active Member

If frames are a dealbreaker for you, go to a top-notch optical establishment, find the ones you want and then search for them online.

I like to think I have good optical coverage, but even then the frames I want would cost $200. I found the exact pair of kate spade frames I want for a bit above $100. Well worth it, especially if you're going to be wearing them all the time.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Slappy, I found a pair of Dockers glasses that aren't bad. Got them at Penney's. Maybe I just got lucky and found a good pair that i like or maybe the one I went to had a better selection than your Penneys.

I pretty much just need them for distances and driving (especially at night). But I usually end up wearing them most of the day, until I take them off in the evening.

BYH, as far as contacts, I've been pretty perfect vision most of my life (only needed glasses the last four or five years or so). So the thought of putting something in my eye is a tough concept. Getting glasses/contacts after years of none can be a weird feeling.

My glasses now feel pretty good, don't slip off the face and I can see very good out of them, so why fix something that ain't broken.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I started wearing glasses in January. Went to LensCrafters. Snagged some Brooks Brothers frames. I like them. We have great optical coverage for some reason. Whole thing cost me $75. My life is so much better now. I see well, and my left eye doesn't cross out on me when I read.

Ain't love grand?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Believe me, Goonie, I was more skittish about putting a contact lens in my eye than you can imagine. In fact, I tried to get contacts during my last eye exam under my parents insurance during college and I just couldn't put my finger to my eye so I scrapped the contacts and got some awful, awful glasses.

I've hated them almost from the moment I got them and they made me incredibly self-conscious. I'd go out at night in college with the glasses in my pocket, squinting the whole time, because I thought I looked like a geek wearing the glasses (yeah, because walking around squinting like a fool was much cooler).

Fast forward eight or so years and I am determined not to wear glasses during my wedding. It's either contact lenses or walk down the aisle nearly blind. It took me about a month of going to the eye doctor a few times a week to get used to putting the lenses in my eyes, but I finally put the lenses in on my own the Tuesday before the wedding. It was an extremely liberating feeling to walk out of the office with perfect eyesight and no glasses on my face.

When I got back from my honeymoon, I was complemented on the new look by many people.

One of the best decisions I ever made, and now wearing contacts is as natural to me as breathing. OK not THAT natural, but you get the point. :D

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

this guy does. love, love, love, love chicks in glasses

that and, well, if there's one thing you're going to spend money on, make it your glasses. not only are they what let you see, they're something everyone sees. my glasses are part of my personality. hell, i wouldn't want to not wear them now. would look too weird. (and no way in hell am i actually putting something on that touches my eye -- ick)

but carrie's got a great idea, find frames you like, then search online. take 'em in and have someone do 'em. or sometimes you can do it all over the internets (but i haven't). our vision plan isn't the greatest, but if there's one thing i'm spending my cash on, it's my glasses (and sunglasses)

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

two words: art school. ;)

but you're on the mark. absolutely. cute frames on a cute girl will get me every time ...

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pussy.

9. HoopsMcCann

why do you think i used to spend so much time in savannah?

10. carrie

carrie Active Member

How did that work out for you, Hoops? :D

11. HoopsMcCann

12. carrie

carrie Active Member

Oh, don't cry Hoops.
    I come back and all of a sudden you've gone sensitive.

What a pussy.

Draft saved Draft deleted