1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Oct 16, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have come to the resolution that I need em.
    Actually, I've had them. Five years ago, I had trouble seeing far away, so I got ones to use while driving and occasionally at games. I got a new scrip two years ago when the doc said "no, what you really need are glasses to read with. It won't strain your eyes as much."
    And at ball games, I have come to the conclusion I need bifocals because I could use the closeness to read my notes and seeing numbers on the uniforms at a distance certainly helps."
    But I haven't found a frame I like for shit. None. Zero. Either they don't look right, are too small, or look like something that retirees would wear while shopping for coveralls, Depends or overalls because the frames look good with their seed corn hats..
    Since I have no optical (being a freelancer, I have no plan), I'm trying to stay cheap. Go to Penney's so I can put it on my card like the other pairs? Sure, but the frames suck. Go to Walmart or Costco? Frames suck. Suck suck suck suck suck.
    So who else has got good selection and is inexpensive.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Guys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses ... at least that's what I've been told.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Find a blind guy with frames you like and ask him to switch.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you have Hakim Optical down there?

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Slappy, welcome to Four Eyes Club. I've been a member for over 25 years.

Consumer Reports just did a story on this and said that Costco's prices for glasses were extremely reasonable. I can't remember what they said about selection or service, but they seemed to say that Costco was the place to go.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Costco's solid. Have you considered contacts?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Prices were good, but they had like 12 frames and I hated all of them. Like I have at every other place I've looked.

And I;ve worn glasses occasionally for the last six years, but this is trhe step to bifocals -- distance to see the game and near to read notes and scoresheet. I;ve found that the two separate pairs of glasses won't work any more...

Havent' thought contacts simply because I'd use bifocals primarily for events and reading glasses for that. I dont need a strong prescription -- +/- 0.75 -- but need something.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Slappy, I'm with you on the costco frames (and frames in general). My mom agreed to buy me new glasses for my birthday (I've had an old prescription for years b/c I use my glasses only around the house) but the frames there suck nards. Either they look like the frames my dad has and the frames I used to have--larger than the sun--or they look like they were created for people trying to appear hip and failing miserably.

It sounds to me like you'd need glasses more often than not. You should really consider contacts. Going to contacts was one of the best decisions I've ever made (I know we had a discussion about this a week or so ago, but I was paying the price for the Reds finishing 80-82).

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Your best bet might be to find a local mom-and-pop optical store.

I got glasses recently for the first time, and since i hadn't previously opted in to my company's vision plan (it's separate from our med coverage), I was on my own. It was either that or wait seven months to see shit.

And it was actually at my local Target, where I got my eye exam done, that the guy working there told me about a local shop nearby. I went down there, and the guy made me a deal on some discontinued frames (and they were pretty cool looking, at least IMO). It's still not as cheap as having coverage, but it was actually a better deal than the target/walmart/costco route.

Obviously it all depends on what's near where you live, but it couldn't hurt to hit the yellow pages, make some calls and see if you can get some deals on discontinued styles, etc.

hope that helps.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did look at Target too, but ughh.

I do use them when I work at my home computer, but finding frames sucks.

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

yeah, target was no good.

that's why i decided to take the target employee's advice and go elsewhere.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unfortunately for Slappy, you gotta admit the odds of that happening again are pretty slim.

Draft saved Draft deleted