1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glasses vs. contacts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I used contacts in high school and it always skeeved me out to place a thin strip of rubber on my eyeballs. They stung like mother fucking hell and they were uncomfortable. So I wear my super geek glasses (with grandma straps) for games, driving and the movies. That's all I really need them for.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I always thought I'd have a hard time with contacts, too, but I adjusted. The thing with contacts is you usually see better with them. Having something right on your eye makes the correction more precise.

Unfortunately, I recently had to go back to glasses. Sucks.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've done both. Wore glasses for almost three years, and finally relented to try contacts.

I'm lucky in that I haven't suffered from dry eyes. Other than that, huge edge to contacts. They fare better in inclement weather, with peripheral vision situations, while doing active sorts of things.

FWIW, I was also really skeeved out to put anything on my eyeballs. But, like many obstacles in life, it came and went pretty quietly.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

My ex-girlfriend's 175-pound dog mangled my specs while I was passed out a few years ago, and that's the only time I've regretted not having contacts. At least one lens was salvaged. (I checked the stools).

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another bad thing about glasses is sometimes I forget my wife runs a daycare at our home. Naturally, the kids use me as a human jungle gym, and more often than not, they don't realize I am wearing glasses. Hand to the face, foot to the face, well it's just a matter of time before somebody cracks the lens.

One thing I've never gotten used to is wearing my glasses in front of a computer. It just bugs the shit out of my eyes when I have glasses on in front of a computer. A year later, no less.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I wore glasses for the longest time, then switched over to contacts about two years ago.

The change was brief. Like some of you folks, I didn't care much for putting stuff in my eyes. I look better with contacts, but just decided it wasn't worth the hassle (and red eyes).

Glasses certainly have their drawbacks (fogging up in the winter time, prone to scratch fairly easily), but I don't mind. It's not like they're stapled to my head. :D

[​IMG]

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've been wearing contacts since I was 12.

I hate glasses because you do not get the same peripheral vision as contacts and they move around so as they move your vision moves accordingly.

Contacts are very comfortable and I hardly think about them. Get disposable soft lenses, preferably the ones that are disposable each day. Nothing sweeter than taking them out at the end of the day and not having to do anything but throw them away. Unfortunately I cannot wear those daily disposable ones, I have to wait every two weeks.

Good luck.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have both. Generally if I'm going to be outside a lot, I pop in the contacts because I can wear my sunglasses.

If I'm going to be looking at a computer a lot, or I'm just too fucking lazy, I wear the glasses.

I've worn the glasses a lot more recently, because I'm just that lazy. But I like contacts better.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Jesus fucking christ. Is this even worthy of a thread? I think not. Wear whatever. If you need to ask someone what to wear, you need to grow a pair first.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Here's another vote for both.

I use my contacts when I'm covering a game, and glasses when I'm around the house.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I use contacts about 95 percent of the time, and wear glasses on my days off from work. So about once a month.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, grow a pair. We've already got joe filling in admirably as the dick, we just need the pair now.

Anyway, I've had contacts since I was in like sixth grade. Got 'em because my eyesight was declining too rapidly with glasses. I was changing prescriptions like once a year with glasses. Got the contacts and I've changed twice in the last 15 years. Never had any big problems, especially with the newer, more advanced lenses they have now. If you can get your eye open and the contact in, you're golden. Couple of blinks and you won't know it's there. Some of these things now, you get 'em in there and you can keep them in for over a week before you have to repeat the process.

Tried to wear glasses for about an hour a year or so back. Made me unbelievably sick.

Hopefully, in a month or so, all of this shit will be behind me. Got an appointment lined up for the lasik.

Draft saved Draft deleted