1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glasses vs. contacts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Oct 8, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So I've had glasses for about a year now. I've grown to like them since I can see a helluva lot better than before. But ... I hate them because they slip easily and they get dirty/smudgy easily. I cannot stand putting things in my eye (even eye drops give me the willies), so I want to know is it worth getting contacts? I can probably get used to it quickly, but I just wanted to know the consensus on people who have done both.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I have the same problem with putting anything in my eye. I tried contacts and decided glasses was my best bet. A lot of people prefer contacts for sports, but I make sure I do a special at Lenscrafters or another place where I can get a discount on a second pair that are either sports goggles or cheaper plastic frames for recreational use.

Anyways, to answer your question I prefer glasses. Contacts were constantly bugging me. I could never get used to them and it aggravated me.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I fall asleep watching TV and crush my glasses.

Contacts are tough, but I'm getting better with them.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

glasses.........definitely glasses.

BTW- funniest Beavis and Butthead episode was when Beavis gets glasses, and Butt-head gets braces.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And the next day Buzzcut let them tell the class what the lecture would be on (sexual intercourse), but Beavis couldn't see it and Butt-head couldn't say it. Classic.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Knowing how hard it is to put drops in my eyes, my eye doctor won't even let me consider contacts -- and knowing how much trouble I have with drops I won't consider them either. Been wearing glasses for 30 years now (I'm 37).

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Glasses for me as well. I also have a hard time putting drops in my eyes and couldn't even think about putting contacts in.

I've had glasses for about six years now. It took a little to get used to them, but I can see a lot better now. Even tho, I really only need them to see distances (especially at night), I'll wear them almost all the time (except at bedtime of course).

As far as slippage, my first pair would do that a bit. But my second pair fits a lot better, so no problem there.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I had contacts and switched to glasses after a couple of years.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've done them all - glasses, hard contacts, soft contacts, disposable contacts, Lasik. Right now I'm about 50/50 on glasses and contacts.

Contacts are convenient in ways glasses aren't, most notably for sports/working out and when you get caught in the rain. The downside is they cause eye fatigue faster than glasses, you have to be vigilant about cleaning them and they make dry eyes drier so you're always carrying drops.

Hard contacts suck because they take forever to get used to and, if you're like me, they're hard to get out. I literally had to use a tiny suction cup to get them out of my eye. If you can't do eye drops well, don't even consider hard contacts.

I had Lasik and it didn't work. If you're ever thinking about going that route, know that it's not a guarantee.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

As I said earlier...I'd stick with the glasses

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Man up and switch to contacts. But I've been wearing glasses since third grade, so by the time I switched in high school, I was more than ready.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I use both. Contacts for when I'm doing physical stuff (working out, yard work, etc), glasses for when I first get up, at work, and when I come home from work. Basically, when I get up, my eyes won't open enough to get contacts in. At work, I get a headache staring at the computer screen for too long with contacts in.

Draft saved Draft deleted