1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gladwell on football, brain injuries and dogfighting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Oct 12, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Malcolm Gladwell writes an article on the effects of playing football on the brain and compares it to dogfighting. Very interesting article.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That might be the best article I've read in my life. Great quotes, amazing flow. Amazing humanity in the descriptions of the dog rehabilitation. I don't know what to say except Wow.
    Maybe the only negative would be only quoting Turley, not finding a few others.
    That story is an A plus in the grade book.

And that picture? Incredible. Best picture to go with a story of all time.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I suspect that in my lifetime, we'll see a movement to ban football for health reasons.

I know I wouldn't want my kid playing it at any level beyond high school.
  4. I saw something recently about the idea of a death on the field in the NFL - Carson Palmer believes it's inevitable, which made some news.

I haven't read Gladwell's piece yet - is there technology to make helmets safer than they are?

I'm shocked more catastrophic injuries don't occur in the NFL.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Helmets undergo modifications on a regular basis. It's amazing how much they've changed just in the last 10-15 years.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let 'em play with no helmets, that will calm down some of the hitting.
  7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I read that yesterday. Chuckled at the thought of Turley giving a buck-ass nekkid hug to the owner, thought the dogfight-football link was a bit of a stretch, but thought it was a decent piece. Glad someone else remembered to post it.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

interesting read.

the scientific stuff about the brain was broken down very well.
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great quote from Obama on his feeling about the game in article:

“I have no sympathy whatever, “with the over-wrought sentimentality that would keep a young man in cotton shorts. I have a hearty contempt for him if he counts a broken-arm or collarbone as of serious consequences when balanced against the chance of showing that he possesses hardihood, physical prowess, and courage.”
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Knew an orthopedic surgeon who patented an "airbag" helmet, even demonstrated it for NFL teams and on sports television shows. When a player struck another player with the top of the helmet, which is when most neck injuries occur, an airbag would be released that would surround and protect the neck.

The problem he could never get past was the time it took to re-pack a helmet once the airbag went off. Teams would have had to keep multiple helmets on-hand for each player just in case.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

what the hell does this mean? i like obama, but sometimes he needs to talk in normal-speak.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I believe that he is saying that football builds character.
Draft saved Draft deleted