1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gladiators, ready ......?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Jul 16, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that Jeff Zucker originally felt this show was "beneath" NBC, while giving his blessing to pro wrestling, Fear Factor, For Love or Money and The Biggest Loser.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My fave chick Gladiator was Diamond. (Wasn't she the deaf one?)

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Come on, Huggy. Everyone knows that Siren was the deaf woman. Get with the program, pal.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the dude who blew out his knee on the eliminator? He was coming off the zip line and landed feet-first instead of on his butt. Pretty nasty stuff.

And Assault was, far and away, the best game. Although powerball would be hella fun to play with a few friends.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The show sucked toward the end, and it started sucking because the gladiators got their asses kicked repeatedly. That, in and of itself, is ok. But to keep the "gladiator mystique" they started coming up with events that were impossible to train for.

Like the thing where you hung upside down from a track and used velcro to move yourself... you can't fucking train for that. Of course the gladiators would win, because they do the damn thing all the time. As long as its with the earlier events, I'm cool with it.

Oh yeah, the refs need to go back to wearing executioner's hoods, like at the beginning. :)

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Is that the one where the track is on the ceiling of the arena?

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm watching it on Classic right now. Can't wait for the new version, if it happens.

Anybody else remember "Battledome," which was a similar thing that ran maybe 10 years ago on Sunday nights? Man, I loved that show.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yup. I just watched it the other day on Classic. I think it was called sky race or something along those lines.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Close. It's called Sky Track.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Your host for the "American Gladiators" remake: Hulk Hogan

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/hulk_hogan_finalizing_deal_to.php

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That fucking blows. I was going to watch this.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You'd better watch, brother!

Draft saved Draft deleted