1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gladiators, ready ......?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Jul 16, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think the joust has to be up there for the simplicity of it. Just two guys (one really big guy) with sticks beating the crap out of each other.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I could never compete, but I love watching it still. What was the one where they swung on the rings and the gladiator tried to rip them down?

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I think you are referring to the Tim Goldrick-Coz "The Battlecat" Worthington first-half semifinal. Goldrick, by the way, was a SUPREME a-hole.

You can see the Goldrick-Worthington finish in this clip. It's the intro to the first-half final, which was a couple weeks later. Love this segment as a whole. Vintage Gladiators.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's almost as good as this classic:

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I went to high school with someone who knew Aimee Ross (one of the contenders from the first season. She was also on the alumni show one year). She was my favorite.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I remember watching American Gladiators...just don't remember the names of the events or the Gladiators, but at least this thread is reminding me of them.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hang Tough, my friend.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I found this a few minutes ago. I don't know why I didn't search for it earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gladiators

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good call! Thanks for the link.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is that Ben Silverman will con NBC into buying a bunch of his lousy shows and be gone in a year. They're bringing back The Apprentice with a celebrity edition?
    And Zucker will remain.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Get ready, it's happening!!!
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117970702.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

NBC pumps up for 'Gladiators' redo
    Competition show revived for midseason

NBC is getting into the ring with "American Gladiators," which has been revived by the Peacock for midseason.

The competition skein -- which featured players with names like Nitro, Turbo and Laser in its campy, early '90s syndie incarnation -- will be updated for the 21st century with new technology and twists. MGM TV, which was behind the original hit, is producing along with Reveille.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If YOU want to be an American Gladiator, here's the application form (via Deadspin): http://www.nbc.com/Casting/Applications/application_gladiators.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted