1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gladiators, ready ......?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I forgot there's going to be another season. That sucks.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This show was a piece of shit compared to what they could have made it. I watched the finale cause it was all that was on, but jeebus. I'm surprised it'll be back.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Well it can't cost much and there isn't much competition on Sunday night.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But it's supposed to be a Monday show, right?

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think so.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The ratings have been very good, which is why it (and pretty much any show) will be back. The production from the finale was iffy - they had Alex with 1 point after he had 0 on the "first" event. Turns out he had 1 in the "second" event, meaning they flipped around these two events in editing (I guess so Evan wouldn't have a big lead from the get-go).

It's a fun, mindless show, although I too can't see these contestants as gladiators.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Are you kidding? Monica absolutely dominated the gladiators in almost every event, every week. She'll be the most versatile, successful gladiator they have.

Also, she's real purty.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Thank God I chose to watch the finale on DVR so I could plow through all the filler. It was like they said, "OK, what has been the biggest complaint about our presentation? Too many interviews and fluff segments and not enough action? Great! Let's take the same number of events we've had the last two weeks and stretch it another half hour!" The second guy to do Hang Tough (his first event of the show) didn't come until the 5TH SEGMENT.

They've said they're gonna add some different events and make some tweaks for the next season. Please, for the love of God, make sure one of those tweaks is cutting down all the filler. Every single person I've talked to who has watched the show has complained about it. I don't know how they can think it's a good idea.

As for the two contestants who won, I don't see why they couldn't be used for events like Assault and the Wall (seriously, do you see anybody ever outclimbing that guy who won?).

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's back like a stubborn toenail fungus.

I like that past winners get to join the troupe, but I really HATE the "touching personal stories" of the contestants they play up. The rocketball event was pretty cool, as was the sway pole thing, but seeing Hulk do interviews while his family has fallen apart just depresses me. The sound being sweetened is also pretty tacky. But then again, its NBC.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just watching this on Tivo. How in the HELL did they keep Hulk and Layla as hosts? The writing deserves part of the blame, but they are just painful to listen to, and just such an obvious detriment to the show. I know they're supposed to have the athletic cred, but good lord, I'd take Chuck Woolery instead.

I just fast-forward to the parts with Crush anyway. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted