1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glad I'm not in China

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 2, 2006.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Seeing as how rabies is spread via saliva or blood, it seems strange that they would expose themselves to the risk of contracting the virus by beating the dogs to death. There had to be some splatter. Would have been better to shoot the dogs -- or drown them. Then burn the bodies, Ol' Yeller.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

When a post like that is the voice of reason on a thread, we're in trouble.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

It continues... :(
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060804/ap_on_re_as/china_dogs_killed

For the second time in days, Chinese authorities have ordered a mass slaughter of dogs to curb a rabies outbreak — drawing criticism from animal lovers but also support from many who say it's the only way to contain a disease that kills more than 2,000 Chinese a year.

Officials in the eastern city of Jining plan to kill all dogs within three miles of areas where rabies has been found, the official Xinhua News Agency said Friday.
    The killings in Yunnan prompted unusually pointed criticism in state media, with many commentators saying it signaled how little capacity the local government had to deal with routine health issues.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's one of the truly sad facts of life that the Chinese government is constantly allowed to get away with shit like this while Cuba remains under a constricting embargo for, um, nothing.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If this is how they deal with a rabies outbreak, just pray you're not there if bird flu breaks out. They'll be using SAMs to shoot down pigeons.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing funny about that story... But there is still a lame joke somewhere in this about why you never see stray dogs and cats scavenging behind Chinese restaurants. I don't eat meat, so I am positive I've never had moo shoo rover.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm staying away from Chinese buffets for awhile after this story. I'm not kidding, either.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon...y'all aren't up for some General Tsao's Poodle? Just read the menu carefully. As long as Column one isn't retrievers and Column 2 setters, you're fine

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm more of a Twice-Raped Chicken fella. That reminds me of a joke menu we used to circulate at the Brattleboro Reformer. Brought tears to our eyes. I wish I had that handy.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't done this one in a Chinese restaurant, but I was once in an Indian restaurant with a big group of people and just as they were about to place their orders I told them that vindaloo is the Indian word for squirel. I think I ruined the meal for a few of them.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I just had Chinese for dinner :-\ :-[ :-X

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If I were in China, I would be with you on that. Thankfully, I'm not.

Draft saved Draft deleted