1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving up your phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bodie_Broadus, Jun 6, 2013.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never. And I lived for a spell in the I.E., where the Santa Anas are pretty fierce. My cable Internet would go out occasionally, but never the satellite TV.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@Bodie, I don't see how a single person could forgo a cel, would hate to be dating with no phone service.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rhetorical question: Do you think your opinion will change when your kids start driving?

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Back when I was in journalism, there's no way I would have gone anywhere without my cell phone. All of the area coaches had that number to reach me at, since I was frequently out covering games. They would call that number first and my office number second.

Now that I'm out of journalism, I still don't think I could go without my phone. It's my lifeline. I use it to sync all of my calendar stuff (which, right now is sadly very empty, as I don't have a job). Plus, as someone who lives in Tornado Alley, the ability to get instantaneous weather is extremely important. I have the Weather Channel text message me alerts, I have the emergency alert feature set up and I have the Weather Channel and Weather Underground apps. I have had an experience in the past where I was in a tornado warning and had no power to my apartment complex, so I was having to monitor the radar from the Weather Channel app. Had that happened 10 years ago, I have no idea what I would have done except cower in my bathroom and wait until the sirens stopped.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you're too cool for the smartphone crowd you can still stay connected without the bells and whistles with a Trac phone. It's pay as you go. I can't imagine anyone whose relatively normal being cut off completely.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a good question ... again, I understand the reasons to have a cell phone in an emergency situation. I'm sure by then my daughter will have one.

And someone mentioned a Trac phone; that's what my wife and 14 year old have. It's pre-pay instead of an unlimited plan, and while you can text with it, there's no internet. Much easier to monitor internet use for kids when they have to use the home computer, which is in our family room.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've had DirecTV reception through a hurricane (until the wind blew the dish off its mountings).

And twice in the past week it lost a signal during a simple rain. Froze up last week just as LeBron had the ball on the final play of Heat-Pacers Game 1.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Didn't have a cell phone for years after everyone else got one. Had an old car phone, which was handy if things went haywire while on the road.

Wouldn't miss it much if it weren't for the fact that it loads music (though I didn't get one with enough MBs for my collection). Not sure I want to do without for serious emergencies ...

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Traffic apps can save you a lot of time as well. I forgot that one.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As many nuisance calls as I get, I wish I could. I'm not sure if that's possible, unless I was in an office with a phone 16 hours per day. But all the sales calls get annoying.

11. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

I have a dumbphone. I'm unemployed. My phone is four years old. I have a $5 a month plan for unlimited minutes and texts because my wife works for TMobile. I never use the thing.

My wife got an iPhone two years ago, and I haven't had a conversation longer than two minutes since.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

What I hate the most about myself is the checking of the phone when you have stepped away for the smallest about of time. I am literally guilty of taking 60-90 seconds to walk to the mailbox or get something off the back porch or get something I left in my truck, and the first thing I do when I get back inside is check my phone to see if I have missed a call or text.

Draft saved Draft deleted