1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CradleRobber, Apr 28, 2010.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Forgive me in advance if this has been discussed recently or is a young scribe's FAQ on the board.

I'm moving to Europe in July. I'm in the process of determining which day will be my last working in the U.S. (for now).

I love my paper. I've been treated well and had incredible opportunities in the last two-and-a-half years, and I'm probably taking my resignation a little too personally.

I've never even really formally given notice to an employer before. Is it done in-person or in writing? I know I'm only obligated to give two weeks, but I'd like to give more to be fair. I don't want to let them know I'm bouncing too soon, though, for fear of getting canned earlier — I need every dollar until the week of the move. What's the respectful amount of time here?

Thanks for any advice.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd go to your boss in early June. That way they know the move is coming and have time to find someone new (if your paper isn't on a hiring freeze).

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've given 3-4 weeks at every job I've been at (I think) and my bosses at the new places have always been open to giving me that time. I think KY's right, I'd say about a month out.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The important thing for you, CR, is to give your teenage girlfriend of the moment proper notice.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A month sounds good. And I've always given notice both in writing and in person -- I hand a letter to the boss while I tell him I'm leaving.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Month is good if you are on good terms with your current employer. You're actually under no obligation to give any notice. My last full-time employer gave us 24 hours they were shutting the doors, so ...

And, yeah, you'll probably need to give written notice to HR in time.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

perfect advice...good luck with giving leave and with the move overseas.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let the SportsJournalists.com folks know about your job. Find out who is interested.

Then give your boss a day's notice (you're moving to Europe, what can he do?).

And have the SportsJournalists.com interested parties call 30 minutes later.

Or you could give them as big a heads up as you are comfortable giving. And you need to put it in writing.

Some places get squirrely when you give notice so do what you think is right, but I wouldn't feel obligated to give more than two weeks.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd go in and talk to the boss, who'll probably then tell you to write a letter for HR's benefit. And since you're not leaving for another job, a month may not be unreasonable. Two weeks is standard, but longer never hurts. Won't hurt your reference, either, I wouldn't think. But the key is that you know your boss. Is he/she pretty decent? Or is he/she a bit spiteful and the type who might can someone for daring to think there are greener pastures beyond the city limits?

FWIW, when I made my big move, my boss scented that I might be leaving several months in advance and asked me about it. I told him I was, though I didn't have a specific date. When I had a date, I gave it to them. I then ended up changing it and working an extra four days, which they were happy to let me do. It worked out well for both sides on that occasion, because they got to make advance plans. (Advance plans not to fill the position, but advance plans all the same.)

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

My fear is that they're starting to sense the opposite — that my visits to the consulate are to secure a residence permit for my lady to live here longterm, rather then me be over there.

My SE and our editor are both great people, two of the best I've ever worked with at any rag. I don't want to sound cocky, but they've gone out of their way lately to make me feel irreplaceable. It's going to be hard to break this to them.

Hopefully they'll understand that I graduate with my BA in three weeks and I've got to write the next chapter in my life elsewhere.

Thanks for all the posts.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Two weeks is standard. If you like the place, which you seem to, and you know of your final day way in advance, and, again, you do, four weeks sounds good.

If you hate the place, "effectively immediately" has a nice ring to it.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nah. I hated the last place I worked and I gave them six weeks notice. I've learned over time to take the high road on these matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted