1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving away the product for free online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you are truly a lawyer, you'd never believe that anything is as cut-and-dried legally as your statement, unless, of course, you were writing a legal brief for a client. Certainly there would be no shortage of lawyers eager to argue the opposite of your stance.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

SF - Really interesting article, thanks for the link.

Frank - I'd love to know what harm comes to a paper by simply providing a link ... to that paper's site.

4. BG

BG Member

I'm sure there would be. And I'd be more than happy to engage them in that argument, at least as it applies to my own blog.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

All links aren't created equal. If you have a blog devoted to a narrow topic and you link to newspaper sites every now and then, I don't see harm as this is incidental. However, if you are building a site into something that you clearly intend to become a primary, go-to site for news -- even a specialized topic -- and you are building it around content that belongs to others that you haven't paid for, then you are parasitically gaining a business advantage by rounding up the proprietary work of others to draw traffic to your site and reap banner-ad revenue.

6. lantaur

Here's the story on Yahoo's partnership with newspapers:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070416/yahoo_newspapers.html?.v=3

7. BG

BG Member

The latter example that you provide is known as a "splog" or "spam blog." And, believe it or not, it's not just traditional media sources that get ripped off. There have been numerous instances of sites being set up with content taken from full-text RSS feeds of sport-specific blogs and traditional media sites. For some reason, it was a pretty rampant problem for hockey bloggers a year or two ago.

However, I'd think the bigger problem would be content summaries and extensive block-quotes. Even if the site in question is an utterly worthless "splog," if all it provides is a permalink back to the content's address of origin, I don't see any real harm, as potential readers would have to access the actual content-provider's site to read the linked story/column, etc.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

So a blockquote is being read on the radio by a host. He'll mention the paper and read three sentences.
    You going to squash that, too?

9. lantaur

Not to mention most local sportscasts .... :)

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Yes, I will throw a zucchini at his head. The word is quash.

Three sentences is "fair use," according to law.

Draft saved Draft deleted