1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving away the product for free online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The vast bulk of the advertising revenue comes from the paper product, and until that changes, you have to print it. No getting around that. You can't assume "other revenue remains the same" -- it won't. None of us would be printing newspapers if that assumption were even remotely valid.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree. Except it is a different product.
    The printed web is smaller, the newshole is smaller, the staffs are smaller. It's not your older brother's newspaper.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Sam Zell has no clue. He says Google steals product ... um, I didn't know Google had its own stories. They link to stories, Sam, so people who might not otherwise have seen them will see 'em.

4. Adrian Wojnarowski

Adrian Wojnarowski New Member

Come on, Frankie.....Parasites? And to think, everyone at Yahoo and ESPN.com speaks so highly of you.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I realize that, and agree with you on that. I was just trying to point out the fallacy of the circulation revenue argument.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For reasons we need not go into, I've been reading a lot of media and advertising trade publications lately. One common thead emerges. ALL formats, from TV to radio to cable to magazines, are at best not losing audience numbers-most sure are. Ad revenue follows the downward path. ALL media are flailing about trying to figure out how to make money off the Internet. NONE have succeeded. NOBODY has a clue. Please don't cite what TV, etc. are doing online as an example for newspapers. The networks are pulling guesses out of their asses just like the rest of us.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Maybe if everyone started putting out great products again, the internet would become less relevant?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Let me clarify. AP is a news cooperative -- newspapers not only acquire news from it, they contribute news to it. These Web sites do not contribute, they only get. How is this relationship in our best interest?

9. donaugust

donaugust Member

Just watched two episodes of Lost on ABC last night. Normally I'd have had to ask my brother to download them off the Internet for me.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good question.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can help on this one: It's not.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ok, fishwrapper. I'll have to take your word on this. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted