1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Given free rein, how would you respond?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jan 30, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the real world: "Thank you for your feedback, and for taking the time to write."

In a perfect world: "Here's a cellphone. Call someone who cares."

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Dear parent--

If you have a problem with it, start your own fucking paper.

Otherwise, lift up my sac and lick my ass, bitch.

3. You know, the second part actually is not a bad reply if you tone it down and the parent wasn't crazy. The truth is we are serving our readers, and many more of our readers are interested in Division I sports and revenue sports than swimming.
    I've covered swimming. It's the only event I've ever covered where there are more participants than fans, and I am in an area with a state champion-caliber swim team.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

a simple, 'we do the best we can, and where a stroy goes depends on what else is going on that day. thanks for feedback.'

I've told parents before that their team won on the wrong day, and if you make them understand that the decision as to where a story goes is made in the afternoon, and not by who wins, they generally understand.

that said, i have some swimming parents and coaches - and wrestling - that believe it should be covered more than football and basketball and that shit ain't happening. i tell them that in a nice way.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've begun work on the special section, and willl get back to you when the cover featuring Rodney Dangerfield is complete.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

The little bastard is only newsworthy if he drowns in the pool during an event. Now go away.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

superb is served

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with honesty here?

I think it'd be very easy to explain how reader interest in GB/Milwaukee basketball game - it was on ESPN for God's sake - interest in the best Wisconsin basketball team in history and the standard showcase story is a little higher than conference meet records in swimming.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Coming back with an angry response does nothing, and leaves neither party feeling better.

If you really want to get back at her, get her pregnant.

10. Floyd

Floyd Member

I'm not saying I don't agree with what everyone on here has said -- I do -- but is there a point in which reader complaints, even ones we disagree with, need to be taken into consideration?

In this instance, I'm in agreement with how the story was played. If swimming bumped one of those other stories off the front, there would have been a lot more calls coming in, I'm sure. But every time I read a thread like this where every journalist on here is explicitly sure they know what's right in the face of a reader's complaint, I can't help but wonder if that's part of the problem newspapers are facing now.

I'm all for maintaining the integrity of journalism -- but is it possible that we use our opinion for what should be as an excuse to ignore the demands of readers? And, right or wrong, in the long run, isn't that hurting the bottom line?

Again, I'm not saying this particular example is a good test, but just that I can't help but wonder if there's a large portion of the folks who post on here that are so sure they know how things should be done that nothing ever changes and eventually the whole industry will be surpassed by other forms of journalism that are more responsive to what readers want.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dear Douchebag:

Fuck swimming.

-30-

12. The following is an illustration of those giving serious answers in this thread:

point
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted