1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me the chestnuts, hold the open fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Your answer implies that it's possible to get smarter about how we engage our environment. Maybe the wood smoke issue at hand is an example of the same thing.

And the picture is of a Russian steel mill. Circa 1991.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought it was Hamilton, Ontario circa 1965

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nope, garden spot of Mother Russia - the V.I. Lenin steel works in Magnitogorsk.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Russia 1991 was about the same as the US circa 1950.

Funny how the eco-whackos of today were (and still are) the commie lovers when the iron curtain was still up. And they still want to take us to the old USSR system.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And any pretense at logic goes out the window and into the Siberian permafrost of tony's frontal lobe.

6. old_tony

Why is it that the truth always hurts you most, Zeke?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Interesting non sequitur, o_t. But I wonder where that leaves China on the Old_Tony timeline for rational free market growth?

Oh, wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Reconcile these two statements, please. Were the hippie-commie-crunchies right about industrial pollution, or do they now want to take us back to what they were protesting then? You cannot even make ideological sense from one post to the next.

And to steal a line, if you ever stumbled on any truth, you'd be out in the yard playing with it.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or, as my father used to say, "If you had a brain, you'd eat it".

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And Russia and Eastern Europe continue to get a pass from the environmental community for the shit they poured into the air and water, while the U.S., the most regulated country in the world when it comes to industry, gets all the shit.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Which has just exactly what to do with wood smoke pollution in the Bay Area? You and o_t seem to be wandering far, far afield here tonight.

12. old_tony

Excuse me, but who first posted the picture of Russian smoke stacks?

Draft saved Draft deleted