1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me the chestnuts, hold the open fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

An overview of the problem:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-13-woodburning-pollution_x.htm

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Take a gas fireplace over a wood-burning fireplace any day of the week. Provides a fire and is cleaner and safer.

http://www.epa.gov/woodstoves/index.html

There wasn't anything on the Bay Area's AQMD which indicated they were considering banning fireplaces. They pointed out some problems, which were also on the EPA website.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How long before exhaling is banned?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Part of the ritual of a fireplace is building the fire. Flicking a swich doesn't qualify.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hey, we had to light a match and use a key to turn it on. It wasn't as easy as flicking a switch.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can start now, t.

7. old_tony

Sounds like eco-whackism is more your bag, Ace.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tony, believe it or not, I'm kinda in agreement with you on the exhaling thing. Just seems like the only want to not impact the planet is to stay suspended in midair, not breathing and not eating. And sending our fecal matter off planet.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think tony has any extra fecal matter. He's pretty much full of it.

10. old_tony

Couldn't agree with you more, AA. To some, human beings are the worst thing to ever happen to the world. But it makes me ask: What greater purpose does earth have than giving the human race a place to live?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Without getting answers from the millions of other species with whom we share that planet, I think the real question lies in how we choose to live here. Even the biblical notion of dominion over nature allows us some middle ground between this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

does it not?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. old_tony

Why is it that you have to use a black and white picture from the 50s as your example of polluting industry? Could it be because we've learned that lesson and industry is much more pollution conscious? Air in the cities is much cleaner than it was in the 50s and 60s.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted