1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me some good baseball trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jun 8, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Two questions to which I don't have the answers:

Has a pitcher ever hit a grand slam in the World Series?

Who hit the last grand slam in the World Series?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How many stitches on a ML baseball?

Who was the last Jew to win a batting title?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did Canseco hit the last WS grand slam?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Carew, right?

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Dave McNally hit a grand slam in the 1970 WS (to answer the pitcher portion).

I could be wrong, but Buddy Myer might be the last Jewish player to win a batting title (sorry, Rod Carew, contrary to popular opinion, never converted).

Thanks for all the trivia - I wrote a bunch down. Now I just have to remember to dig them out while we're on the road.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What future Hall-of-Fame pitcher's last game was as a pinch hitter? And what historic home run record, since broken was set in the same game?

Answer: Walter Johnson, who pinch hit for the Senators and flew out to Babe Ruth. It was the same game that Ruth hit his 60th home run in 1927.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What's the "P" stand for in the hits column for the St. Louis - Giants game?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jason Marquis got the Silver Slugger as a pitcher in St. Louis. It's a semi-trick question.

9. Sammi

Sammi Member

A curse -- and a pox while I'm at it -- on Cowbell for stealing my Vida Blue question.

Instead:

Q. - Off which former ML manager did Pete Rose hit his only career grand slam?

A. - Dallas Green.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I would guess "Pitching."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd also guess that the Cards and Giants played two, that particular day, but that's strictly speculation on my part.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Q. Which pitcher gave up the most home runs to the great Hank Aaron than any other pitcher in history?
    A. Don Drysdale.

Q. How many games was Willie Mays' longest consecutive game hitting streak in his career?
    A. 23

Q. Pete Rose retired with the most hits in baseball with 4256. Which pitcher gave up the most hits to Pete in his career?
    A. Phil Niekro (64)

Q. What did the great Sandy Koufax do, that Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, and Cy Young could not accomplish throughout their career?
    A. Koufax struck out at least one batter in every game he pitched.

Q. Babe Ruth won his only American League MVP award in 1923. Who was his runner-up to the MVP in that season?
    A. Eddie Collins

Q. Steve Carlton gave up 414 home runs in his career. How many of those in his 24 seasons were game-ending home runs?
    A. 2

Q. How many of the nine positions did Jackie Robinson play throughout his Major League career?
    A. 6 (LF, CF, 3B, SS, 2B, 1B)

Draft saved Draft deleted