1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give me some good baseball trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jun 8, 2008.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Who replaced Cal Ripken when he voluntarily decided to end his consecutive games streak?

--Ryan Minor

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was saving this one for Thursday but since you asked ...

The four switch-hitters with the most cazreer home runs are Eddie Murray, Mickey Mantle, Chipper Jones and .... Chili Davis?

Until this past weekend, the only player in Yankees Stadium history with a six-hit, nine-inning game was ... Omar Vizquel?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about nicknames or trades?

Who was Chicken on the Hill?

Which player was thrown into the Bowa/DeJesus trade?

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Who is the only pitcher to play for the Mets, Yankees, Cubs and White Sox?
    Dick Tidrow (who is the answer to another trivia question: who was the winning pitcher in Game 5 of the 1976 ALCS, when Chris Chambliss hit his home run)

What did Nolan Ryan do to the last batter he ever faced?
    Gave up a grand slam

Who were the starting pitchers for the Phillies and Cubs in their 23-22, 10-inning affair in 1979?
    Philadelphia's Randy Lerch and Chicago's Dennis Lamp

Who was the only pitcher (I believe) to start Game 1 of the World Series for two different teams in successive years?
    Don Gullet (Reds in '76, Yankees in '77)

And some retired number questions...

What was the first number retired by a team?
    Lou Gehrig's No. 4 in 1939

What are the only numbers to be be retired twice by the same team?
    8 by the Yankees (Bill Dickey, Yogi Berra), 10 by the Expos (Rusty Staub, Andre Dawson) and 42 by the Cardinals (Bruce Sutter, Jackie Robinson)

Who is the only player to have...
    No. 13 retired?
    The Reds' Davey Concepcion

No. 17 retired?
    The Cardinals' Dizzy Dean

No. 22 retired?
    The Orioles' Jim Palmer

No. 31 retired?
    The Padres' Dave Winfield

5. J.T. Pinch

J.T. Pinch New Member

Which player was thrown into the Bowa/DeJesus trade?

Ryan Sandburg?

[/quote]

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

What three Hall of Famers began and ended their career in the same city but on different teams?

Aaron (Milwaukee Braves and Brewers), Ruth (Red Sox and Braves), Mays (Giants and Mets).

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I know this is my own thread, but here's one I always liked, ruined by baseball's expansion: Who is the only player to play in all four divisions (when there were four divisions) in the same season?

Dave Kingman, 1977: NYY (AL East), NYM (NL East), San Diego (NL West) and California (AL West).

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't forget Rogers Hornsby (St. Louis Cardinals and Browns).

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Q: This man homered in his first major league at-bat, went on to play 21 seasons and more than 1,000 games, yet never hit another home run. Who was he?

A: Hoyt Wilhelm, one career homer in 432 at-bats.

Q: Who is the only pitcher in baseball history to hit two grand slams in the same game?

A: Tony Cloninger of the Atlanta Braves, July 3, 1966. Final score Atlanta 17 at San Francisco 3.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[/quote]

Correct.

Willie Stargell was Chicken on the Hill because he owned a chicken place in town.

11. Here are two:

No. 1: Prior to 1993, nine players had won consecutive MVP awards. They filled the nine positions on the field. Who are they?

No. 2: I haven't been able to confirm this but I've been told only two players have homered in their teens, 20s, 30s and 40s. Who are they?

Answer to No. 1: 1B-Foxx, 2B-Morgan, SS-Banks, 3B-Schmidt, OF-Murphy, Mantle, Maris, C-Berra, P-Newhouser

No. 2: Rusty Staub and Ty Cobb

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to this, but I've always wanted to know: Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth to become the all-time HR leader, but who did Ruth pass to become No. 1 and with how many HRs?

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted