1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give Larry Coker credit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Aren't many coaches who would bench these caliber of players for the FSU game....

-------------------

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Four Miami Hurricane players, including running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore, were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State because they violated team policy.

Linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones also were suspended, coach Larry Coker said Tuesday.

Moore's suspension will include the second game of the season against Florida A&M. He was suspended for the Peach Bowl at the end of last season.

Coker declined to say what prompted the punishment.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i wonder if pat forde will write another column saying that this means the hurricanes have reverted to the jimmy johnson era in which they were all thugs.

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Probably Coker's last year.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

coker is something like 53-9 (i'm too lazy to look it up but it's a damn good record) and this is one of only a handful of schools in the country where that record isn't good enough. people say that miami fans are spoiled. true, but that's an occupational hazard of taking this job. if glen mason at minnesota went 53-9 they'd rename the university after him and give him a lifetime contract.

5. Almost_Famous

first few years were with the previous guy's players ...

-last couple years he's missed on some must-have recruits
    -last year was a very down year (despite BCS berth)
    -that bowl loss might as well count twice
    -if he wins 8 games or less this year, i can't see being retained

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think this is a perfect situation for their quarterback Kyle Wright. He dosn't have his running back or one of his better recievers. If he has a great game and wins it for the Hurricanes, I think he would put himself right up there with Brady Quinn and Troy Smith.

7. Almost_Famous

You are dreaming, kid.

8. Chuck~Taylor

If he goes out there and beats Florida State for the first time with out those key players, that would give Miami alot of momentum and confidence.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But he won't.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Kyle Wright will go WAY up in the first round.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

AF -- Miami didn't earn a BCS bid last year. Lost (very badly) to LSU in the chicken bowl.

12. Chuck~Taylor

;D

Draft saved Draft deleted