1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gisom? Poor Taste or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OneMoreRead, Jan 17, 2007.

1. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, I apologize.

Gisom?

Is that poor taste or am I just getting too old?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/amjump?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

Here's where the name comes from if you don't want to check out the link.

"As Brangelina or TomKat can attest, it is integral for a celebrity couple to have one name. A single moniker serves as the relationship's brand name for the public and eases inclusion in tabloid headlines. So what are the options for Brady and Bundchen? Well, there is Tomele Bradchen and Tisom Bundy, of course. But both of those are too easy -- not to mention kind of boring. A better option is this one: Buttchen. It works as an homage to Gisele's last name and Brady's cleft chin. So that's a possibility. But the best option of all, and the name that the Gisele-Tom union must go by is this: Gisom. The front of Gisele, rammed together with the back end of Tom -- together they make Gisom."

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I have absolutely no idea. I'll ask my wife and let you know later.

3. The word I think you're thinking about is spelled jism ... but they appear to be homophones and it's naive to think the writer isn't playing off of it. Dumb story.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, Gisele is wearing a strap-on and ramming it into the back end of Tom?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

DD: No wonder they win all the time.

6. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Wouldn't have posted if I were thinking about something else. But thanks for the clarification.

I guess I am getting too old. Of all the names I was thinking of while reading the beginning of the graph, "Gisom" wasn't one of them. My first thought wasn't, "hey that's cool, funny or original." It was, "that's pretty damn sick."

Must be time for me to call AARP.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Philip Roth spelled it 'gissum' in Portnoy's Complaint.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Page 2, the last bastion of good taste, is finally overrun by the rebels. ::)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How cute, how clever. Someone is just laughing over their cleverness tonight...
    Just stupid...

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Freshman year in high school our English teacher said we'd get credit for every unassigned novel we read and wrote down in a notebook he kept. I read Portnoy's Complaint. He never questioned anybody's choices in public, except that one. In front of the whole class, he said, "Frank, it says here you read Portnoy's Complaint. Now what is Portnoy's Complaint about?"

I was 14. My face reddened. I wanted to blurt, "The book is mostly about beating off, sir." But nothing came out. I just blushed and stammered. I could not get past the image of the kid using an uncooked piece of liver from his family's refrigerator to pleasure himself. Teacher said, "Well, Frank, if you can't tell us what Portnoy's Complaint is about, I'm going to have to scratch this off your list."

"OK," I said meekly.

The next year, same teacher, we were assigned Death of a Salesman. Class flirt said, "Mr. ----, what were Willy and that woman doing when Biff walked into the hotel room?"

Teacher sighed. Class tried not to laugh. "Well," he said, "they were screwing."

He quit teaching a few months later to become a member of the clergy.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Someone on here mentioned that as the name on the thread we found out they were dating.

Page 2 is cribbing our ideas!

Draft saved Draft deleted