1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The real slippery slope is the one that dismisses the physical differences between people born males and people born females. Take that away, and we go back to the days before Title IX.

2. outofplace

Once you get to the high school level, sports lose their significance without the wins and losses. The athletes themselves will tell you that. So will the former high school athletes, especially the ones who weren't good enough or just weren't interested in competing at the next level.

Nobody is telling transgender athletes that they can't compete. To suggest otherwise, as you just did, is dishonest.

The last sentence of your post is utterly unfair bullshit.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You constantly ignore the fact that we now know gender is a spread. There are men born naturally with much higher levels of teatosterone than an average men. There are girls naturally born with more testosterone than other girls. It's a spectrum and people fall on it in different ways. And you continually saying that an adolescent boy who is taking a puberty blocker and who isn't going through male puberty is still just a boy is wrong.
    As for your second point, allowing these few people to will not send us back to pre-Title 9.
    I think as long as the person in question is following the medical guidelines laid out for people who are transitioning, are either taking puberty blockers, or hormones, or testosterone, they are no longer showing just the characteristics of the gender they were born and they should be allowed to compete.

4. outofplace

You are actually feeding my argument. I'm not ignoring the fact. I'm showing you where the logic of your argument goes. The sole reason for girls sports to exist is the physical advantages males have over females. Keep moving the line along that spectrum and eventually, the need for girls sports is eliminated.

The place where you draw the line between who should be allowed to compete with their chosen gender and who should not also seems arbitrary at best. Also, please phrase it correctly. They aren't being denied the opportunity to compete. Some are being denied the opportunity to compete against their chosen gender.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

A major development, to be sure.

In another administration, I'd give this ruling considerable weight.

But considering the damage Betsy Devos has done to education in this country and the Trump administration's previous decision to ban transgender individuals from being in the military, I'd rather let the judicial system sort this out.

7. outofplace

For once, we agree. An office run by Betsy Devos cannot be trusted with this decision. I wouldn't trust her to decide if students at my local high school got pizza or hamburgers for lunch on Fridays.

The discussion of Title IX is interesting. I do believe that is exactly where those opposing Connecticut's current policy will find legal footing. The problem is that I don't know if it is even possible to serve everybody's legal rights fairly in these cases.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Ditto with not trusting Devos.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Just an update from a legal system standpoint - the landmark decision by the Supreme Court to extend protection against employment discrimination toward LGBTQ people is expected to have a major impact on the legal arguments in the transgender sports participation case.

A good summary of what could happen next in the legal system: Landmark Supreme Court ruling could redefine Title IX

In particular, the story notes that Justice Alito brought up some of the same concerns mentioned in this thread, "He noted that transgender athletes can now argue they have the right to compete against students of a different biological sex. Applying the same Title VII definition of “sex” to Title IX could “undermine one of that law’s major achievements, giving young women an equal opportunity to participate in sports,” Alito wrote."

It's going to be very interesting to see how far reaching that Supreme Court decision is going to be, including on cases like this one.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted