1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Boys should just run with girls then.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To address the point in bold, I said it was just getting started, which is true, not that it wasn't a study. Please at least try to come at this honestly.

Reagrding the quote from Vilain, there are a couple of issues. One is that this is just one doctor who pushed a certain agenda. The person writing the article didn't bother to talk to any others. One doctor does not make up all of the scientific opinion on a
    matter.

Also, the doctor claimed that they had less muscle strength and bone density than males, but they still have more than females. So they still have some of the physical advantage of being born physically male.

More importantly, put it in context. This is a specific set of conditions including surgery and hormone therapy. They also must have two years after "gonadectormy." Are those restrictions going to be in place for scholastic competitors? I'm guessing you are not in favor of such limitations.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Do you think that academics should be a competition free zone as well? No honour roll? Do we do away with grades altogether.

I suppose on the plus side at least in the history of this thread you’ve evolved from puberty blockers are harmless to the science being unsettled.

The trans kids at the center of this story have gone thru puberty. I can’t believe there are people out there who care so little about girls and women that they’d promote this.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

What if the trans female is shitty athlete and just wants to play?

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

We can still keep track of wins and losses, points scored, runs driven in. Competition is good. The result just doesn't need to be so obsessed over. If you fall short of a championship, you still learned a lot. If you fell short of the playoffs, you learned a lot and have motivation to get better. But if a coach treats players well, is developing their skills and habits, that's what matters to me.

Also, you don't know if the Connecticut teens have completed puberty. Puberty lasts years. Given their ages, they've certainly completed at least some of it. But how much? Every kid goes through it at different ages and for different periods of time.

6. SoloFlyer

He's citing findings by multiple studies:
    Body Composition, Volumetric and Areal Bone Parameters in Male-To-Female Transsexual Persons - PubMed
    Impact of Cross-Sex Hormone Therapy on Bone Mineral Density and Body Composition in Transwomen - PubMed
    Prevalence of Low Bone Mass in Relation to Estrogen Treatment and Body Composition in Male-To-Female Transsexual Persons - PubMed

We need even more studies, especially those of trans youth, to get much, much more data. But it's not just one doctor pushing an agenda.

7. SoloFlyer

Clearly it's the principle of the thing, even though the only complaints come up when the trans athletes win.

Mngwa likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I was a shitty athlete who wanted to play. Got cut from everything except the tennis team. No one seemed to give a happy damn about it. I got over it.

9. SoloFlyer

I'm glad you got over it, but in all seriousness, I think it's shitty that you got cut. Any kid who goes out for a school team should be part of it. Maybe you would have only played in blowouts or in specific situations as a pinch-runner or something, but I'm against cutting kids who want to be involved just because they're not good.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, can we? I'm so glad you approve. I was worried that we would have to stop keeping score entirely for this pathetic vision of high school sports you have in mind. Your response to hondo proves something I knew by the end of our first go-round on this. Your can't be taken seriously on this because you approach it from a place of disrespecting what sports actually mean to the athletes who compete in them.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

While sports writers, parents and even kids themselves will tell you sports are about wins and losses .... the governing body over high school sports advocates that their programs are an extension of the classroom and not officially about wins, losses and trophies (including the state tournaments they run for revenue generation).

So what is the educational opportunity you prefer?

Only let people like you compete (harkens back to the separate but equal days) or provide an opportunity for someone to compete.

To date, there have been NO transgender athletes to win a state competition as their preferred gender. In Texas, Mack Beggs WANTED to wrestle with boys, but was prohibited. Beggs, a transgender male, was forced to wrestle girls and went unbeaten in high school.

Most of the people arguing this have never been a part of a disenfranchised group. But they and their lawyers don't give a damn about fairness. They just care about what's best for them.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you just said, but the only problem is, female athletes do belong to a disenfranchised group. These girls that are competing right now just don't know it. They don't know their own history. I know it. I know I wasn't allowed to play baseball for her in the early seventies because I didn't have a penis and there were no girls sports. After Title IX and a couple more years, little league finally had to let us in. I played two years of little league baseball, and by the third there were girls softball leagues. Because they didn't want girls playing with the boys. Even though at that age, 10 11 and 12, we were all structurally pretty much similar. Transgender girls are just that, they're girls. They want to be with girls, they want to do girl things and they want to have their life as a girl. The spectrum of gender is wide-ranging and there are some boys who are closer to being girls but are still boys, and some girls who are closer being boys and yet remain girls. And they all compete in their gender. We have some girls that in some regards test as boys with their testosterone and yet they're biological girls. They're not interested in becoming boys, and the fallout from -- if you don't let transgender girls play then maybe you start penalizing girls for being what they biologically are because they might have an advantage over other girls. Obviously I'm talking about Caster Semenya who is being penalized for being what she biologically is. It's a very slippery slope. And frankly I think it's insulting to assume the transgender 14-year-old girl is automatically a better athlete than cisgender girls of the same age. There are a lot of really fantastic athletes who get there because they work their asses off whether they are boys or girls. And yes, there are a lot of female athletes who are superior to a multitude of men and boys.

SoloFlyer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted