1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls Soccer: Tapout Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

That's about the same pace as any girls high school game I've ever seen. One of my buddies used to call it water soccer because the speed made it seem as though they were playing under water. In fact, high school girls soccer might be the most painful sport to watch if you're actually into soccer.

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

One of the keepers they showed looked positivitely Kate Upton sized.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sure there is a limit...and I understand that some parents don't get that...but there is nothing wrong with punishing kids for misbehavior.

Yeah, there are some assholes out there...but there is nothing wrong with nipping bad behavior early in kids that seem to cause a lot.

My dad and mom spanked me as a kid...very few times. Because when I did something wrong, I got spanked. After it sunk in (only once or twice)...SHOCKING! I behaved and didn't act like a jerk.

Why? I knew I would be punished. I had fear of misbehaving because I knew there would be consequences. Even a threat of bodily harm (ie. spanking) caused me to act like a human.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thank you for your data point.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

Oh, wait. You aren't. Just taking pot shot one-liners without any substance.

The question posed was "What is wrong with these kids". I gave my opinion.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And I'm opining that your opinion is wrong and based on a very limited, incorrect view of the world.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That isn't the pace of the game in California, and many other places I imagine.

Here's a video from a local game this year - when the action starts, it looks sped up compared to the beatdown video.

http://www.gazettes.com/sports/wilson/video-wilson-vs-pasadena-cif-girls-soccer/article_9e9823dc-5a0e-11e1-ac83-0019bb2963f4.html

8. You win by establishing early - and by example - that that behavior is not acceptable

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I cover the girls' soccer beat in Orange County for one season, and the difference in quality was pretty huge depending on which teams/leagues were involved. If I was covering a match with a powerhouse like San Juan Capistrano, Esperanza, Los Alamitos or Woodbridge, the play was very entertaining (most of the players were also on top club teams in the area and would go on to play college soccer). However, I could also drive 10 minutes down the road to central Orange County and watch two teams play what could charitably be called "soccer" and was more accurately "kickball without the bases."

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

rmanfredi - yup, you are right.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me see if I have this straight: A girl beats the crap out of another girl and we're talking about the quality of the soccer?

Yeah, OK.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Moddy is right. The punches were in slow motion too.

Draft saved Draft deleted