1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls high school basketball gamer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by earlyentry, Jan 24, 2008.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

As fatigue settled in, Montclair High’s Amber Wessells said she had hoped to avoid a possible overtime period Tuesday night against Immaculate Heart Academy.

After successfully guarding and disrupting one of the top guards in Bergen County, an exhausted Wessells received her wish, as the Eagles’ game tying 3-pointer misfired at the buzzer.

Trailing most of the game, sophomores Wessells and Torri Hines-Allen fueled an 11-2 fourth-quarter run as the Mounties erased two seven-point deficits and outlasted IHA, 26-23, at Montclair High.

“It was a really tiring game, so I was not trying to go to overtime,” said Wessells.

Wessells highlighted a defensive gem for MHS (8-7), which scored the game’s first basket but trailed almost the entire contest until two free throws from Hines-Allen made it 24-23. With less than a minute remaining, MHS had its first lead since 2-0.

Hines-Allen was heavily guarded all night but she still scored six of her game-high 10 points in the deciding quarter, including a key putback off a missed jumper to pull the Mounties within one with 3:44 left in the game.

One minute earlier, the Mounties reversed the ball against the zone to Wessells, whose hard pump fake and strong drive resulted in an old-fashioned three-point play, bridging the gap to 21-18.

After that, the defense did the rest.

IHA, which lost for just the second time in 15 games this season, was limited to just nine points in the second half, due in large part to Wessell’s eye-to-eye defense.

“Our defense, I think, is winning us games. And our offense just needs to follow,” said Wessells, who forced three steals, a five-second violation and two tenacious defensive stops to end the middle quarters.

“It was inspirational,” MHS coach Jerry Citro said after the win. “We told them it was one of the greatest defensive efforts we’ve seen from a Montclair team. To hold that team to 23 points in the game is an outstanding effort.”

With a chance to extend the lead and wrap up the improbable victory, Wessels twice missed the front end of a one-and-one at the line before making 1-of-2. Nyzera Fleming added 1-of-2 to extend the lead to three points. The Mounties finished 8-for-18 from the line.

“Your hearts in your throat for the kids,” Citro said regarding the free-throw-line jitters. “But they pulled through.”

Not before some late-game dramatics.

After a Hines-Allen foul near midcourt, IHA had one last chance to send the game to overtime.

“My heart was pounding,” said Hines-Allen. “It was so scary.”

The Mountie sophomore could only watch when, with just seven-tenths of a second, IHA’s Tara Schwitter caught an inbounds pass at a few feet behind the arc, glided left and threw up a left-handed shot that, if it was good, would have counted.

Luckily for the Mounties, Schwitter’s off-balanced attempt hit softly against the back iron as time expired. “Thank God she missed,” said Hines-Allen.

Last season the Mounties lost on a late basket against IHA. This win made it sweet payback, against a real contender.

“IHA was bidding for the No. 1 seed in the Bergen County Tournament … they just beat Pascack Valley by one, who was the No. 1 seed,” Citro said. “It’s a tremendous effort for us, a tremendous win. It shows that we’re growing up and improving.”

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Girl's high school basketball gamer

Just a few things I noticed. My notes are in parentheses and italics.

As fatigue settled in, Montclair High’s Amber Wessells said she had hoped to avoid a possible overtime period Tuesday night against Immaculate Heart Academy.

After successfully guarding and disrupting one of the top guards in Bergen County, an exhausted Wessells received her wish, as the Eagles’ game tying 3-pointer misfired at the buzzer.

Trailing most of the game, sophomores Wessells and Torri Hines-Allen fueled an 11-2 fourth-quarter run (Don't put scores in before the final score because it is confusing) as the Mounties erased two seven-point deficits and outlasted IHA, 26-23, at Montclair High.

“It was a really tiring game, so I was not trying to go to overtime,” said Wessells. (Unless it is your paper's style, you should put the said after the name)

Wessells highlighted a defensive gem for MHS (8-7), which scored the game’s first basket but trailed almost the entire contest until two free throws from Hines-Allen made it 24-23. With less than a minute remaining, MHS had its first lead since 2-0.

Hines-Allen was heavily guarded all night but she still scored six of her game-high 10 points in the deciding quarter, including a key putback off a missed jumper to pull the Mounties within one with 3:44 left in the game.

One minute earlier, the Mounties reversed the ball against the zone to Wessells, whose hard pump fake and strong drive resulted in an old-fashioned three-point play, bridging the gap to 21-18.

After that, the defense did the rest.

IHA, which lost for just the second time in 15 games this season, was limited to just nine points in the second half, due in large part to Wessell’s eye-to-eye defense.

“Our defense, I think, is winning us games. And our offense just needs to follow,” said Wessells, who forced three steals, a five-second violation and two tenacious defensive stops to end the middle quarters.

“It was inspirational,” MHS coach Jerry Citro said after the win. “We told them it was one of the greatest defensive efforts we’ve seen from a Montclair team. To hold that team to 23 points in the game is an outstanding effort.”

With a chance to extend the lead and wrap up the improbable victory, Wessels twice missed the front end of a one-and-one at the line before making 1-of-2. Nyzera Fleming added 1-of-2 to extend the lead to three points. The Mounties finished 8-for-18 from the line.

“Your hearts in your throat for the kids,” Citro said regarding the free-throw-line jitters. “But they pulled through.”

(I don't like to put so much information into the middle of the quotes. Sometimes you have to to explain what the person said, but for the most part I'd keep that information out of the middle of the quote and use it in a paragraph following the quote because it clutters everything up.)

Not before some late-game dramatics.

After a Hines-Allen foul near midcourt, IHA had one last chance to send the game to overtime.

“My heart was pounding,” said Hines-Allen. “It was so scary.”

The Mountie sophomore could only watch when, with just seven-tenths of a second, IHA’s Tara Schwitter caught an inbounds pass at a few feet behind the arc, glided left and threw up a left-handed shot that, if it was good, would have counted.

Luckily for the Mounties, Schwitter’s off-balanced attempt hit softly against the back iron as time expired. “Thank God she missed,” said Hines-Allen.

(I think I would have moved these paragraphs up toward the top, since it was what decided the game. In fact it probably fits better with what your lead is instead of going into the 11-2 run.)

Last season the Mounties lost on a late basket against IHA. This win made it sweet payback, against a real contender.

“IHA was bidding for the No. 1 seed in the Bergen County Tournament … they just beat Pascack Valley by one, who was the No. 1 seed,” Citro said. “It’s a tremendous effort for us, a tremendous win. It shows that we’re growing up and improving.”

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Thanks for commenting, Angola.

4. Re: Girl's high school basketball gamer

Wow. 26-23. Wow.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

girls high school basketball
    boys high school basketball

NOT