1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball team in Minnesota loses 65-0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nothing surprises me about girls basketball anymore, particularly at the high school level. It's pretty amazing how awful some of the teams are, although the same can be said about boys too.

It's just a different type of awful.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A women's college team recently won 108-24.

It was a mid-major against a USCAA team (United States College Athletic Association). They were also ranked No. 3 in the USCAA, for whatever that's worth.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So should the coach of the losing team.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He probably wishes.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

Maybe someone can explain but...I've never understood why blowouts are evidence of bad sportsmanship.

If you want to create a mercy rule that would end the game early in order to protect young egos... do that.

But I thought the whole point of sports was to give one's best effort. Seems like it would be bad sportsmanship NOT to try to keep scoring.

How is it acceptable to tank the rest of the match?

(note: I'm not talking about a psychopathic dad trying to rout his son in a game of one-on-one here. I'm assuming the teams are in the same league or of similar ages)

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would have just led with the JV.

7. Back in the 1980s my private high school's girls basketball team lost something like 121-6 to a public school in the same city. Our girls program was shut down for a few years because of it. I played on the boys team and we lost to that school by 70+ points. They kept their best player in until they hit the 100-point mark, which they did midway through the fourth quarter. They did it on a fast-break dunk by that player, who was floating at midcourt while we had the ball. I wish I had taken that mf'er down as he went for the dunk.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

How do you not score at all? I saw some shitty teams and even the worst of them managed to get the ball through the hoop once.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I coached my son's 7/8 year-olds league team this fall. League was terribly stacked, officiating was inconsistent and the scheduling was piss-poor.

We had 6 kids on our team, and my son was one of 2 who'd picked up a basketball before.

First game out, we played the team coached by the guy who runs the league and, guess what, he had 7 kids, all bigger than ours, and they came out setting goddamn screens.

We were down 18-0, 36-2 and 47-3. Lost 56-6.

You better fucking believe I gave that asshole a few minutes of my time when the game ended.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU ONLY COVER US WHEN WE DON'T SCORE A BASKET!!!!!

(C'mon, 21 posts? We're slipping. Also, wherever you are writethendrink...please stay there)

11. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

If you dislike getting defeated, get better.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's nonsense. They didn't get defeated, they were annihilated. The two teams didn't belong on the court together.

That's like taking a house league Peewee hockey team and putting them up against a Bantam AAA team. The score would likely be 15-0 after about halfway through the first. And then, God willing, common sense would prevail and the game would be called.

Draft saved Draft deleted