1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

girls basketball losing streak record?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azom, Mar 28, 2009.

1. azom

azom Member

Does anyone have an idea of what the national high school record for consecutive losses in girls basketball might be?

We have a team here that's lost 63 straight and I'm just wondering how that stacks up nationally. If you know of any longer streaks, I'd like to hear about them.

Unfortunately, NFHS doesn't track or post "negative" records in its record book.

2. Contact the Wheeling (W.Va) Intelligencer - google them for the website, phone number is at the bottom - and ask them for Doug Huff's email address, explain who you are and what you are looking for.
    Huff is the former sports editor there and he has done a ton of work compiling national record. He's written a couple of books. He may not be able to tell which teams holds the national record, but I guarantee he can ball park it.
    Huff is an excellent resource for this kind of stuff. When I worked in sports I used to bother him a couple times a month with such questions.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll bet $500 it's not even close.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

According to GaSports.com, Cross Keys' girls currently have a 64-game losing streak going.

http://ga.prepcountry.com/?t=5&w=1&sc=85&s=12&tm=1&wy=2009

And I agree with TSP. It's not close to the national record.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I once covered a team that snapped a 75-game losing streak, so your team isn't there yet.

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Even if it's not close, it's always good to give people perspective on where it stands.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I've got a feeling parents of the team's players and maybe the coaches might not feel that way.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying one should be prepared for the response when you point out that a team has set or is close to a national record for longest losing streak. I know we had a football team with a long losing streak recently, and that coach eventually got really tired of us writing/talking about it.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Of course he did. Because if you don't talk about it, then it doesn't happen.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Right. If we didn't regale the public with tales of his team's suckitude, he could delude himself into thinking they're good.

10. azom

azom Member

Well, 63 is our unofficial state record. I wrote a story when this team hit 60 as they were approaching the state record. Figured the national record had to be at least 100, but I wasn't quite sure.

Orville, thanks for pointing me in a direction.

11. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

azom, if you ever get an answer would you mind posting it? I'd like to know what it is.

12. Actually, Shifty, that number might be very underestimated. Ga.prepcountry.com is a pretty good resource to get info. on schools that are good in most sports, but they are notorious for either not updating or not getting complete schedules from schools that struggle (like Cross Keys does in pretty much every sport).

Draft saved Draft deleted