1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball, girl's basketball or girls' basketball?

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Clever username, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Which one is it? This seems like such a stupid question, but I've seen it so many different ways in so many different publications that I'm just plain confused at this point. We use girls basketball or boys soccer but men's cross country. Men or women is already plural, so I can see that, but wouldn't it be girls' or boys' basketball?

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I use, and i believe most do, girls basketball.

There is no ownership of said sport. Unless the basketball is just that, a ball, as in, "Biff Tannen picked up the girl's/girls' basketball and chucked it across the street."

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Proper AP and grammar style is girls basketball. Although some papers use their own style and make it girls' basketball. The only way it would be girl's basketball is through a typo or if only one girl was playing in the game.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

yeah, i didn't really think it was girl's basketball, I was just throwing that one in there.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So how do you account for men's and women's basketball?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Because the words "men" and "women" are already plural - as opposed to "boy" or "girl", which require the additional confusing "s" to become so.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but isn't men's possessive? So if you say men's basketball, don't you need to say boys' basketball?

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

One would think so. There's little logic in a stylebook, though. I'm on your side.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No. Type in "mens" or "womens" basketball and see how that looks ... doesn't look right, does it? That's probably because neither "mens" nor "womens" is a word that can found in the dictionary. And that's probably why you need to make "men's" and "women's" basketball possessive, but not "boys" or "girls."

Just my two cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted