1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls...as friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Feb 17, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are the one insisting your perception is right no matter how many of us tell you that it is not true for everyone, no matter how many actual experiences are recounted on this thread.

Your little thieory based on your own closed mind and the theatrical wisdom expressed by Billy Crystal doesn't hold up. Get over it.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

After you hear it the first time, it never gets old.

3. longgone

longgone Member

Just because you guys happen to disagree doesn't necessarily make me wrong. Thieory? I can't find a definition for that.

4. longgone

longgone Member

Whew. That settles that.

Now we can all go knitting.

5. longgone

longgone Member

I don't think I had a movie quote.

Let's move on.

6. Wow, glad I dropped out of this when I did. It went from a nice discussion to a thread full of fail...

7. longgone

longgone Member

Ah, nothing like stirring the pot on a boring Sunday night, CU. Let's do it again sometime. :)

8. outofplace

Funny. That doesn't look like moving on.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gee, longgone, feel better about trolling on what was an outstanding thread?

Mike, thanks for the input and WFW on that last sentence. Granted, I did have a couple of female friends two papers ago that I really got along well with on a platonic level. I didn't let them do the makeover they wanted to try, but I thought no less of them.
    :)

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No problem, Sam.

I'm really lucky. I've been close with my high school friends for about a decade and have had the same best friend for nearly two. They're all guys and are amazing in their own ways. But they're not quite like my female friends. And I need that. Women can keep you grounded like no one else and instill more confidence in you than you thought possible. And not many guys I've known can listen quite like my female friends; and I dig that because I enjoy talking, if you couldn't tell.

I'm sure I'm not alone on this: There are some things I don't feel extremely comfortable about telling my guy friends, either for fear of ridicule or insecurity or even thinking they won't give a fuck. But I don't usually feel that way with the four women I listed previously. I'm never apprehensive about sharing my feelings with them, and if I couldn't do that, I'd probably be so much more secluded than I am now -- and probably post more, believe it or not.

If I've got girl problems, I'm calling Erica, not Jeff. If my family and I stop speaking -- again -- I'm calling Rachel, not Jason. Jeff and Jason are my two best friends, but they're not women. There are sometimes I don't want everything to turn into a joke or a Seinfeld-themed exchange. (Of course, it probably helps that the four women friends I mentioned don't know much about Seinfeld; but they do love Full House and Saved By The Bell, so they've got that going for them.) My guy friends are there for the comedic punch. My gal friends are there for the real conversations. I get both from each sect, but they each have their strengths. I think it's important to have both.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Simple answer: yes, of course. I know no other way.

12. outofplace

Excellent point, though one of my female friends is practically a guy in the way her mind works. She's not the one I'm going to with my feelings, that's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted