1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls...as friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Feb 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
    Sally Albright: Why not?
    Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
    Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: You only think you do.
    Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: How do you know?
    Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
    Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
    Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
    Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
    Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
    Harry Burns: I guess not.
    Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.

2. longgone

longgone Member

Thanks, JR. And that was written by a woman, of course.

3. I'm married and I can be friends with women who are also in a relationship - no problem at all.

Single women? Much too problematic in way too many ways.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, it was witty banter from a funny movie, so it must be true. ::)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I had a great friendship with a woman who was engaged to a Marine before I left for my last gig. We were able to share a lot and connect on a very meaningful level.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

My experience has always been - the farther away I live from a female, the easier it is to be friends with her.
    I still maintain good relationships with most of my ex's, but again, they all live in different states than I do. I'll also echo Write-Brained, if a gal is single it gets complicated.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure.

8. longgone

longgone Member

Aw, c'mon. You guys are always sure. Prescient, even.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes it was. By the great Nora Ephron

10. longgone

longgone Member

You're right. You are.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Some of my best friends are women and have been since my sophomore year of college. I dated one of them, slept with another a few times and have never had a sexual urge with the other two.

Laugh all you want, but sex is usually the last thing on my mind; not because I couldn't get it if I paid for it, but because the relationships are almost always much more satisfying for me -- and most definitely for the women. One of my greatest friends, Erica, and I have had a tremendous relationship for the last five years. We worked on the college newspaper together, and talk on the phone for at least an hour or two a weeks. We give each other advice and guidance, and she's my "back-up's back-up" to any wedding I attend; first I try to get a date, then ask my best friend -- a dude -- then Erica gets the nod.

I was in a relationship when I met her, and Erica's been in one for the last five-plus years. I can't speak for her -- though it's probably safe to assume -- but I've never had a sexual feeling for her, even though she's very cute.

My nympho friend is another one. We're there for each other in need or in boredom. But never, at any point, did one of us try to move our relationship to a different level. In a bad way, her mom wanted the two of us to date because she dug my humor and how I interacted with her 8-year-old sister. We just laughed because it's the furthest thing from our minds. I'd rather have her at my call for advice and entertainment -- if you've never heard a woman describe to you the walk after being fucked by a 10-inch dick, you're definitely missing a winner -- than have her in my bed.

It's definitely possible, so long as you don't think with your cock 24 hours a day. And I pity those who can't be friends with the opposite sex because you're missing out on so much.

12. longgone

longgone Member

Just as something of an aside:

prescient: divine omniscience

omniscience: state of having infinite awareness and understanding

Now go watch some Oprah.

Draft saved Draft deleted