1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl Scout-hating state rep doubles down (and Catholic Bishops follow his lead)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

After getting lambasted by his own party in his own legislature for his rage-against-the-Girl-Scout-machine, did Republican Rep. Bob Morris see that maybe his comments about "web research" showing the organization to be a bunch of lesbian abortionists was over the top? Or did he write an editorial for the Washington Times that makes what he said the first time around seem reasonable?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/22/shut-up-and-sign/

As for the culture wars, the left had just dispensed with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation when they turned their attentions to me. Today, they are bludgeoning Rush Limbaugh and tomorrow they will find a fresh new target. My advice to that target is to never back down.

So far, all of the victories in the culture war have gone to the progressives. Nearly all of our most revered institutions, such as universities and major charitable organizations, have been infiltrated and transformed by agents of the left. It is hard to believe that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and nearly all of the now reliably liberal Ivy League universities, were founded as conservative Christian seminaries, just as it is impossible to imagine what conservative industrialists, like Henry Ford, would think of the politics of the board of directors of the foundations that bear their names.

Whatever concessions we make will be followed up with angry demands that we abandon even more of our core principles. If we accept homosexual members today they will demand that we have anti-Christian leadership of our Christian groups tomorrow, as is the case at Vanderbilt University. Each new appeasement is welcomed by the left with their moving the goal post yet again, and anyone who objects, like myself, may be subjected to the full force and fury of a monolithic cultural warfare machine.

Nothing short of the destruction of our faith and values would satisfy progressives. We have been left with no choice but to refuse to cede even one more inch of ground in this bloody culture war. The time for resolve is now.

Given that he also voted for the bill allowing Hoosiers to blast anyone, including law enforcement, who they believe to be illegally trespassing and threatening on their property, I think the Girl Scouts would be well advised to skip this guy's house when selling cookies door-to-door.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: The Girl Scout-hating state rep doubles down

I would love to see a viral internet campaign that results in thousands of boxes of Girl Scout cookies delivered to his front door. I'm talking huge amounts.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now, now. Who among us hasn't said they'd kill for a box of thin mints?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I do think speculators have gained too much control of the cookie market. $4 for 15 Samoas? That deserves an investigation.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember when I heard about this little controversy. This time of year, girl scouts will set up shop in front of a supermarket to selll the cookies.

My fantasy was to be at a supermarket with the cookie table and then a protester nearby, who would then come up to me and explain why he/she is protesting, citing the supposed homosexual-shielding, abortion-supporting agenda the Girls Scouts seem to have. I would listen intently like I was interested, tell them "wow, really, I didn't know that. That totally changes everything." And then walk up to one of the Girl Scouts and say loudly "I'll buy ten boxes!"

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would pay at least $5. That's the best damn cookie on the market.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Out here in the hard right 'burbs of the Inland Empire, after I told them I had already bought our share of boxes this year, the Girl Scouts at my local grocery store hit me up with, "well would you like to donate to Iraq war veterans?" and held out a donation bucket.

I wondered if that was some sort of a see-we're-really-not-pinkos effort?

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Thousands, you say....

I know a girl scout who could probably pull that sale off...Her goal for this year was to sell 2,012 boxes of cookies to celebrate the 100th Anniv. I think she finished with a total in the 1,500s.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, it's just in the last few decades the left seems to embrace what is written in the Bible more (help your neighboors, the weak, homeless, etc...) than using the Bible as a tool for promotion as some others might.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a viral campaign that delivers the bill for thousands of boxes of Girl Scout cookies to his door.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Second. And, since we're not sending the cookies to him, I dibs the Thin Mints.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not if I get 'em first.

Draft saved Draft deleted