1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl Problems II: Help the College Boy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Apex, Nov 28, 2006.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You mean you never were attracted to dicks to begin with, or you still feel the gravitational pull of the self-centered asshat?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I still feel their gravitational pull. I am unable to resist them.

3. writing irish

Well, the upside to that is that there are quite a few to choose from. :)

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The selection's nice, but they run your therapy bill up though.

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Double Down - exactly where in my statement did I write the word "forever"? Yeah, I didn't think so...

I liked the Aristotle quote...would you prefer I quoted Billy Joel instead?

Honesty is such a lonely word
    Everyone is so untrue
    Honesty is hardly ever heard
    And mostly what I need from you

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Honesty as a virtue in a relationship is highly overrated.

I'm squarely in the camp that says telling her -- if it really meant nothing to you, and you don't think it's indicative of your wanting to get out of the relationship -- only makes her feel bad and you feel better. Which strikes me as awfully selfish.

You don't tell anyone everything, not even your spouse. You sure as hell are under no obligation to tell a college girlfriend everything, especially since your behavior doesn't put her at risk for STD's or the like.

You are obligated to tell her if you're looking for a way out of the relationship.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Take the advice of experience, kid. STAY SILENT.

The people who are telling you otherwise THINK they would want to be told the truth ... until they're told the truth.

Nothing good can come from you transferring your angst onto your girlfriend.

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Shot - I don't THINK I want to know the truth, I KNOW I want to know the truth.

I'm trying hard not to channel Colonel Nathan R. Jessop here ;-)

If you can't trust the other person in your relationship, why have the relationship?

Get it out in the open, admit you made a mistake and move on. Hiding it will only cause more grief down the road.

If you're comfortable hiding stuff from your significant other, then I wish you the best in keeping it hidden.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out how Apex making out with a chick from his high school paper is an example of "what's wrong with the world" and evidence that our society can no longer "accept accountability for our actions."

He kissed a girl. He didn't bury her body in the woods. In immortal words of the great Derrick Coleman, "Whoptie damn do." He may or may not tell his girlfriend about this. If he chooses not to, society will likely survive. Even if others follow suit. All the "you've got to come clean and be honest with yourself, or you'll be on the road to doom" moralizing is just silly. It's as if he came on here admitting he smoked a joint and you're saying he needs to tell his parents right away or he'll be freebasing cocaine of a stripper's ass by spring semester.

As for Billy Joel, I believe he cheated on Christie Brinkley, and I'm certain he was a raving drunk for close to two decades, so after some thought, I'd probably stick with Aristotle.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. writing irish

If Meat Loaf and his gal had been enjoying the romantic ambience of the Roswell Daily Record restrooms, she probably would have gone all the way without putting up a fuss.

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

The actual indiscretion, or whatever you want to call it, isn't the issue here. It is whether or not Apex wants to be honest with his girlfriend.

Would Apex's girlfriend be upset if she found about about his makeout session? Yes. Could this damage their relationship? Probably. Instead of facing the consequence of his actions now (girlfriend gets pissed) Apex could decide to hide it from her, thereby avoiding the consequence, which most likely will be more severe in the future if she finds out.

I'm not trying to imply that Apex is going to Hell for what he did. The point I'm trying to make is this: he can either take his medicine now or risk taking a bigger dose of medicine later if his girlfriend finds out. That's all.

And you make a great point about Billy Joel cheating on Brinkley. That was a bad song to quote ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted