1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl In A Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't the girls all wind up dancing with each other anyway?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

wants to know what the big deal is ...

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Thanks, 21. I feel better now.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Although I think the girl in Itawamba is right on principle, I do believe there's a big "look at me" factor behind all of this. She wants her 15 minutes.

The easy way to get around such a ban on same-sex dates would be for her and her girlfriend to double-date with a gay male couple, then switch partners once they're inside.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah because why should she be able to go to her prom dressed as she wants and with whom she wants? That would be wrong, right?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a white guy wanted to bring a black girl to a prom and that threatened the cancellation of the prom, would you suggest the same thing? Would those people just be attention grabbers?

Lastly, you think it would be easy to find a gay couple in your high school to double date with?

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know. It's serious.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You guys missed my point. I have no problem at all with the girl having the right to bring whoever she damn well pleases to her prom, or wearing whatever she wants, as long as it falls within the bounds of decency. I just think she's being a little over the top about calling attention to herself. It would be quite a bit different if it was an interracial heterosexual couple, however, that battle was fought and won long ago.

I guess I just have an aversion generally to people calling attention to themselves in situations like this. My preference would be to keep my mouth shut, pretend to go along, then whack 'em in the head with a fait accompli when they can't do anything about it. They'd either have to let it slide or cause a scene where the attention-mongering would be on their heads and not yours.

And, Ace, to answer your other question, it wouldn't have been very hard to find a suitable gay male couple to double up with at the school my kids went to, and I don't think it would be that hard at Itawamba, either. It's a decent-sized school (probably around 650, maybe 700, in grades 9-12) with a community college nearby.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That battle was fought long ago. This battle is being fought now. Some people like being on the front lines.

I went to 2 very large high schools and couldn't have told you the name of one kid who was openly gay -- at least open enough to dance with someone of the same sex at a prom.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How did she call attention to herself? The school canceled the prom, not her.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I still think it is very unusual for a teenager to be openly gay -- at least to the point where they have told their parents. And if you are going to make a show at the prom, they are going to hear about it.

Hell, it seems half the gay people I know have still never told their parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted