1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl arrested for swearing on 911 call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 16, 2009.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

First the cop/dispatcher's behavior is inexcusable. He should be fired and never be allowed to work in public service again. The girl can be excused for cursing under the circumstances. That being said, how dumb can she be? A normal person would think to do whatever it takes to save their dad. She seems to care more about fighting with the dispatcher than with getting help for her father.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with that cop?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

FAIL on both ends, but much much more on the stupid c.u.n.t bitch who can't wait 2 seconds after the call is answered before launching into F-bombs, then after getting cut off, her first utterance is not "come help my father who is having seizures," it's "I want your name so I can sue you." Then she leaves the house, runs to the police station, and it's not "come help my father," it's "I want to file a complaint."

Fuck off, moron.

The cop should be suspended two weeks and given a stiff lecture on how to handle difficult calls; the stupid c.u.n.t bitch should be slapped in the face, hard, many many times.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

To counter those ready to reach into the "you only report on us when we over-react file."

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

They both screwed up, but the cop screwed up waaaaaaaaay more than the girl did. It's not even close.

She said "What the f---?" because she couldn't get anyone to pick up her call at 911. Just as she was saying that, a dispatcher was picking it up. Then the dispatcher scolds her for cussing and hangs up? What in the world made him think that was OK?

The lack of judgment he displayed in that situation is enough to have him fired. I hate to be that blunt about a guy's job, but it's true. That's as bad as a journalist plagiarizing. Protect and serve, when your ego lets you.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course he should be fired; not even a question about it. If that guy dies because he hung up the phone on her three times, it sort of defeats the goal of 911 being a fast emergency response system. He hung up on her before even trying to find out what was going on. That is unbelievable. And frankly, if she calls and is able to relate a location and a description of something that requires an emergency response, it doesn't matter how my F bombs she drops, as long as she can reasonably relate the situation in a way that allows them to respond quickly. It's not his job to be her third-grade teacher or her mother, ESPECIALLY at that time. It's his job to serve and protect. He is unfit for his job and could put people's lives at risk.

7. I liked how he eventually told the ambulance service . . . "I was unable to patch her call through to you." Well, idiot, maybe that's because it's hard to patch someone through AFTER you have hung up on them. The girl was snotty, and looks like that's the way she handles herself in her personal life. But the cop was wrong. Period, end of story.

BTW, was it necessary for the network to give out his salary? how was that a part of the story. And for the reporters questions . . . I see how the dispatcher put the dads life at risk, but how is it putting the tax payers at risk?

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This man's thoughts about 911 are widely known.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He is a public employee. His salary is public information.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Douchebag Cop: A please would be nice.
    Foul-mouthed Girl: Come again?
    DC: I said a please would be nice.
    FmG: Get it straight buster - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you I need an ambulance, and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better fucking get it and get it quick. I'm here to save my father's life - if my request's not fulfilled then lotsa luck, sir.
    DC: I don't mean to deny emergency services, I just don't like people barking orders at me.
    FmG: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna keep my dad alive. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Get the fucking ambulance.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

True, but just because you can get information doesn't mean it's relevant to the story.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If a public employee is not performing his/her job, salary info might very well be of interest to the public.

Draft saved Draft deleted