1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ginn Resorts in deep crap, ends PGA & LPGA tourneys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. part-timer

part-timer Member

Part of me thinks this is karma coming back on the LPGA Tour. If memory serves; to accommodate Ginn, they forced the folks at the ShopRite Classic outside of Atlantic City, one of the richer non-major purses on the tour, to go find another date. The ShopRite folks refused and ended the event.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Could they not see the slime oozing off Ginn?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

His NASCAR team used it as motor oil.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This isn't surprising, considering hardly anyone plays that course -- a course that took the now-defunct Ginn sur Mer event from its past home... Tesoro.

What's going on at the Ocean Course, Hondo?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Ocean Course has been there longer (since 1999 or so) and has a lot of resident and resort play. Great deals, too. Someone told me they got a four BR condo for three nights, and all the golf they could play at the Ocean and Conservatory for about $400 per person (all inclusive).

6. Luckily, they were able to hire a new caretaker.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... N. Bates was unavailable.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And the PGA TOUR is fighting back. A story just moved from Garry Smits of the Times-Union announcing the Tour has just filed a breach-of-contract suit.

That didn't take long.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Bad move by the Tour. I understand why it would decide to go down this road, but unless a court decides to make Ginn liquidate its assets, there's just no money to be had.

Move on.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, unless you consider that companies that are still solvent, but struggling, will try to same thing. The PGA needs to establish that its sponsors can't just cut and run. Will they get money from Ginn? None there, so no. Will it stop another sponsor from just flaking off? Perhaps.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They can always get their payoff in experienced professional golf balls (they're not just used golf balls anymore).

Draft saved Draft deleted