1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gingrich will run if nobody has it wrapped up by Fall '07

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 18, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I thought he was fascinating on MTP yesterday. His explanation for the timing of his Presidential decision made perfect sense; his suggestion that Iowa and New Hampshire should hold debates with all the candidates on the stage at once was great.

His message was simple: We're coming up on the 150th anniversary of the Lincoln/Douglas debates and it's time we all start dealing with issues and not personalities.

Granted, his reasoning is no-doubt self-serving (after all, he wants us to forget divorcing his wife while she was in hospital) but his message was, none the less, a sound one this nation sorely needs to heed, IMO.

2. Oh, balls.
    This is the guy who put a handbook out on how to campaign that was simply a list of pejorative adjectives to hang upon the opposition. It's all an act -- the Lone Serious Thinker amid the pygmies, the Historian, the Futurist. It's all a crock. He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a Lincoln-Douglas format, which required people to talk at length and with some measure of expertise.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A third-party candidate would win.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Any serious thinkers disagree with you?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Maybe that's a fair question, maybe not, but first Guy, I simply have to know: Do you think Gingrich is a serious thinker?

7. Guy_Incognito

Actually, I do. I think he has many flaws which would almost certainly stop me from supporting him for President, but I think he's a serious thinker.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I remember reading a profile of him about a year ago in GQ. I started the piece thinking "What a joke" and by the end was saying the guy had a chance. He's a tool in the truest sense of the term, but the man knows how to campaign and no one, bar Clinton, would be better in a debate.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I wish I were only a quarter as smart as Newt Gingrich thinks he is. Einstein wasn't half as smart as Gingrich thinks he is. He's like William Bennett, a self-important blowhard who hasn't really accomplished anything that amazing, but who runs his mouth so much the dupes in Washington think he's a visionary. The only things Gingrich has done is help lower the political debate in this country down to the barnyard level and pave the way for the corruption that caused the G.O.P. to get thumped in 2006 -- neither one of these items would look good on a campaign button.

10. Guy_Incognito

Really? I'd love to see your resume.

11. Here's a serious conservative thinker who feels compelled to point out that Newt really is a fucking loon.
    http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2006/12/18/beam-me-up-mr-ex-speaker/

Draft saved Draft deleted