1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gimme Shelter - Merry Clayton or Lisa Fischer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 21, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Merry's Sweet Home Alabama story is worth the price of admission to the movie.

Very entertaining flick.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My favorite version is the one from Altamont. Portends doom. I think it was used over the end credits to the movie. When the bass kicks in at about 16 seconds ... wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CG1rbUdHKg

The live versions with Mick Taylor kick all kinds of ass into the mid 70s. I have a bootleg from the 1972 tour which is also choice.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have a bootleg from 1972-73, can't remember the show, might be Fort Worth or maybe I am confusing that with another tour. Anyway, every time I listen to it I am blown away by how great Mick Taylor was.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think that's the one I have. Sound quality isn't great, but it rocks.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Loved seeing/hearing Taj Mahal in that version.

This is, by far, one of my favorite songs, and I love hearing great covers like that.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Taylor is unreal on the Brussels Affair show from 1973 released a couple years back. I believe it was also heavily bootlegged.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Merry Clayton's a Hall of Famer. But the best version of more recent vintage: let's end this argument right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted