1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Gimme Shelter" is so freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The opening of Departed when Gimme Shelter kicks in makes the whole movie for me.

In interesting fact catigory I once read that George Lucus was a camera man for the Gimme Shelter documentery.

2. Memo From Turner is THE most underrated Stones cut of all time, and it was originally in Performance, one of Jagger's early film roles.
    And, Boom? I don't know about Lucas, but Scorsese was one of Wadleigh's lead cameramen/AD's on Woodstock.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I always liked the vocal solo from Pink Floyd's "Breathe". It's always cut out on the radio version but I heard it by the original singer on the Waters tour in the 80s and it was chilling, one of my all-time concert moments. They told her to think of dying when she recorded it.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

" `Hoo's fightin' an' what for?"

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Scorsese is working on a Stones concert film....they shot it last fall in New York. Think Jack White and Christina Aguilaria are going to be in it playing with the band.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Stones. 1975. The Garden. $14.50.

7. Boom_70

were you seated just a shout away?

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Top of the yellows, to the right of the stage, about the blue line. We bought giant brewskis, chugged them, then whizzed in the cups so we wouldn't have to miss any of the show. It was an on your feet all night affair anyway, so it didn't matter. The key was to chug your beer as soon as you got it, so it didn't get warm, if you know what I mean.

9. Boom_70

'75 the garden was still serving those big ice cold Schaffer's

I can still taste them going down. If you could get your head over counter they would serve you.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Keep your perversions to yourself mister.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I was in college, my Foreigner fandom was, as you can imagine, the source of much derision by my chums. One afternoon, we all got blitzed at Happy Hour (ahh and we were all under 21, good times) and stumbled back to my room to figure out what we were doing next. One buddy was looking at my CDs and mocking me...until he got to Foreigner's "Records" and said "Hey! Let's call (other buddy's name here), make the voice mail urgent and then play Urgent over the phone!"

So we did it. You probably had to be there, but it was fucking hilarious.

"Next message. Recorded Friday at...7:45 pm. Message marked urgent."

Then Lou Gramm: "URGENT URGENT URGENT...EMERGENCY URGENT URGENT URGENT!!!" And then we hung up. Still makes us laugh to this day.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

that's what i'm talking about, boomer.... at a ranger game if you went out into the stairwell, it was like standing in a giant bong with stairs. Me and a bud would take the train into Penn Station, pound pitchers at the brewburger, then head straight to the bar at the blue-seat level. They'd serve us as many seven and sevens as we could slam down. Hell, we were still in our teens. hahahahahah. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted