1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gilmore Girls Cancelled

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, May 3, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Ah, the show kinda jumped the shark...right around the time Rory lost her virginity and started dating an asshole.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Webby, it was a great show for a while, until the producers designed to make Lorelai into one of the worst human beings ever to form the center of a television show. She crapped on more men who truly cared about her than anyone could count, and was a complete tool to her parents throughout the run, but we're supposed to think she's wonderful because she's a "good mom."
    I gave up at the start of this season and don't regret it.
    Cancellation is best.
    However, I will never confuse Lorelai's character with Lauren Graham, who is smokin.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thing was, her character has taken about 17 turns since that happened.

Yeah, I'll check the man card at the door for this one. I will miss it.

4. Nail, meet the head.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I was a HUGE fan for several years up until Lorelai dropped Luke and slept with Christopher. Turned it off and haven't looked back.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

a fun fun fact: graham's mother (on the show) is "baby's mom" in "dirty dancing." always had a thing for her back in the day. 8)

wow. just googled her. she's married to lee leonard, one of the original espn anchors and the guy who co-hosted "sports extra" in n.y. with bill mazur in the '70s. :eek: :eek:

6. Young daughter FB is not going to be happy.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't agree. She was built to be a flawed character -- a good friend who could be incredibly selfish; an excellent mom who is often a bad daughter. Rory was often just as self centered as Lorelai. The problem is that they couldn't ignore the chemistry between Lorelai and Luke, even if the producers wanted her to end up with Chris. When the show became about the relationship between Lorelai and Luke, they didn't address the real problems that a couple like that may have -- they hinted that Luke wanted kids and that Lorelai was tempted by the offer to work for a large company and travel.

Instead, they tried to slow down the relationship and took a huge detour with the stupid Anna/April storyline. Luke goes from being devoted to Lorelai to ignoring her for no reason. Then the Chris storyline was the Palladino version of Sorkin's attempt to blow up The West Wing on the way out. Another problem was that Alexis Bledel, while gorgeous, is not a very good actress.

While it hasn't hit the A+ level since the end of Season 5, I'll still miss the show.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Whoever writes the dialog for this show should be tarred and feathered. I haven't seen this show in about two years, but whenever I watched it (when it was forced on me), I found it unlistenable. Nobody talks like that, in that hurried, staccato manner. A lot of girls I know do, however, love the show

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And BYH bitterly wept. That'll be a lotta 8-second intervals to fill.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You may be right about this; I'm not sure.

The way she plays the character, is it not genuine? Is this how a regular Ivy League kid acts? We don't see none of them there Ivy Leaguers down in these parts.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't know how it is at Yale, but as Ragu can confirm, there sure as heck weren't any girls as good looking as Rory at Cornell.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

my sister-in-law went to cornell. and she's every bit as hot as rory. moreso, imho. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted