1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gilbert Gottfried fired as Aflac duck due to tsunami tweets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Aristocrats!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess up to this point, he's only offended people on this continent.

AFLAC probably wouldn't have cared if he made Katrina jokes the day after the hurricane hit, but he had to go and piss off the Japanese.

This is the same comedian who was once hired as an opening act for the Go Gos. When the promoter told him to work clean, he dropped the c-word several times in his opening joke.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Apparently, Gottfried once did a dirty joke. Not sure what it was called.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The weirdest, longest joke in comedy history...

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm on Twitter all damn day and didn't know about this until they fired him. Free (negative) publicity for Aflac.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Looking at those "10 worst," Gottfried's greater penance should be to comedy itself. Even if you like the blackest of black humor, those jokes are painfully unfunny, rehashes of old lines from the "Totally Tasteless Jokes" series of books in the 1980s. Which weren't funny, then, either. There's a trick to finding the humor in the worst of situations, but Gottfried couldn't find it, in the same way my father referred to idiots as not being able to find their assholes even if you gave them two hands and a flashlight. Can Saturday Night Live fire him again, too?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This sounds interesting.

I will away to my local college, and seek a digitized newspaper machine on which to read about this legendary moment in comedy history.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It should take AFLAC all of about 30 seconds to find somebody else who can do the "AFLAAAAK!" as well or better then GG.

There are several in my office, including me.

GEICO is on about its fourth Gecko voice, too.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bob Saget doing the joke was one of the most shocking things ever.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Saget's one of the dirtiest stand-ups going.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's funny about Saget is he's always been one of the dirtiest standups going, which is why no one was more surprised than him when he was cast as the dad on a family friendly TV show.

I don't know if he toured while the show was on. If he did, I'm guessing he dialed things back a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted